• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

cracked vacuum bottle

90xjDave

NAXJA Forum User
yesterday I noticed that I cracked my vacuum bottle. I guess now is as good a time as any to relocate it to the engine compartment. Anyone have links to a write up on how this is best done (ie- best location, running vacuum lines, etc.)

tia,
Dave

Why relocate it? Less space in the engine compartment = more restricted air flow = higher temps = shorter engine life = less money to spend on the girlfriend/wife = less nookie = sad 90xjDave.;)

I need to relocate mine too because I'm going to an aftermarket bumper that angles up on the sides and doesn't have room where the stock location was. Should I just put it in the bumper closer to the center, or does anybody have a better location?

90xjdave - you can stash one under your coolant recovery bottle (the OEM lines run right through there anyway) - I shredded mine (as so many have) and ended-up fabbing one from a chicken-broth can (perfect for non-cruise equipped vehicles of that vintage)

The only "trick" is that there is a one-way valve in the factory blimp -- the vacuum source (engine) side has a one-way valve so that the vacuum collected in the blimp is not permitted to be vented back into the engine -- If you're looking for blimps of various sizes the entire range of Ford products in the '80s use them somehow - many will have steel ones with mounting tabs and one-way valves... There's no real penalty to having a blimp with excess capacity - so find something that fits and is at least the volume you had.

I cracked mine when I smashed it into a ledge and I just ductaped it back up really good and set it in my engine compartment...no problems at all.
-calvin

Back