• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steering columns

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
Hey does anyone know if an 87 steering column will fit and work in a 92? I am working on a deal for a 92 and it needs a column and i was thinking i will take mine with me and put it in. But i need to know if the electrical connectors are the same... Please help i need to know by this weekend

From what i've heard the renix style columns were a gm style and changed when they went to the h.o's so it's likely the connectors will be different as well as the part that attaches to the steering shaft in the engine bay.

Physically they will bolt up, I am running a 96 steering column in my 87. As far as the wiring, i doubt it will snap together. Not to say it couldnt be made to work though.

What all would i have to do as far as the connectors. i don't plan on running it for ever like this just to get it home to Bakersfield from Santa Barbra.

The connectors aren't all all alike. You'll wind up needing both wiring diagrams to figure out which wire mates to which - I'd advise using 3M splices above and below with a piece of wire between.

When the factory changes something they are under no obligation to keep things in the same order, use the same color, or follow the same logic. A GM column turn signal wire loom aint' nothing like a Chryco one.

Ok thanks thats what i needed to know. I went and stashed one out of a 93 at the local Pick your part because tomorrow is half price day lmao

SO, when are you coming?

i dunno possibly either sat or sunday. all depends on if i drive the jeep or get a trailer and borrow the father in laws
6.jpg
but i dont want to drive that thing LMAO

Back