• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking to buy a xj

AS350b2

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all

I hope that I have posted this in the right place, and if not can you please let me know where so I can move it there.

I am new to Jeeps and XJ's, and also to this forum. I have chosen the XJ due to it's interior room. I want to be able to wheel with my wife and dog and still have room for all the other gear needed.

There is a mid 90's XJ for sale just down the road, it has a chrysler 8.25 in the rear and I'm guessing a Dana 30 in the front. It looks to have a couple of inch lift in it, the body looks great with no body damage. It is an Automatic, and I am not to sure about the engine. I still need to give the owner a call, though I was kinda waiting for the Christmas season was over.

Is there any thing that I should be looking for as a deal breaker. As well as any other hidden things that I would not think to look at.

Thankyou for all of your help

look for rust feel above the cat and the rear quarters! rust is hidden very well by the interior! you dont want a v6 or the 4 cyl you want the 4.0 I6. look for leaks, test drive it make sure it gets to operating temp 195 and let it idle after make sure you dont rush it. there are alot of Cherokees out there and rushing a test drive and inspection can cost you lots of money and time!

All had the Dana 30 in the front. The 4.0 is bulletproof with proper maintenance. The AW4 (automatic) is also excellent, most problems that occur with it are electrical. Biggest thing to look for is rust. Depending on your level of wheeling you may want to look for one that hasn't already been abused.

I agree - look for rust!!! Get underneath with a flashlight and screwdriver. Poke around everywhere. Also, if you can, pull up the carpet in the front and check the floorboards. Same for the rear cargo area.

I'd also really recommend test driving it on the highway at cruising speed. These things have a tendency to vibrate at highway speeds. Its nothing that can't be fixed, but if it shakes you can get the price lower by complaining about it.

Look at all the fluids to make sure they look and smell ok.

Make sure to test all the switches and latches. Turn signals (make sure they self-cancel), lights, hazards, locks, windows (manual or power - both can go bad). Open the lift gate all the way and see if it stays up.

Look for oil leaking down the back of the motor.

If you can, run the carfax before going to look at it - that way you know if its got any major accidents on record.

Lastly, go with your gut. There are tons and tons of little things that go wrong with XJs, but they can all be fixed cheap and easy. As long as it starts easy, idles smooth, runs strong, shifts smoothly, has no rust (or very little), and the 4x4 works well ...... go for it!!!

Almost anything can be fixed economically except for the unibody. As stated, rust is what kills an XJ. The other stuff is just like any other vehicle. Look at the fluids, remove the oil fill cover while running and check for blow-by. Check every electrical circuit. Mostly for bargaining down the price. Crawl underneath (that's easy on an XJ). Look for damage and leaks. Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth while you look for free play in the steering system.

Big difference between 95, 96 and 97. Not much between 91-95. Which is it?
I just bought an XJ a few weeks ago and created a list of 50-60 items to check and still failed to find everything until after the purchase! My list included checking all functionality. What I missed was that the power windows worked fine from the drivers door but not at each individual door!

Looking for leaks is really good. I replaced 3 Power Steering Pumps in the last 3 months. That is worth checking out. If the engine has been cleaned, it will be difficult to detect leaks.

What the east coast guys focus on is rust. Us Northwest people really don't give it such attention, not that it shouldn't be looked for. Interior rust for leaking heater core might be worth looking for. I also look under the body just to get an idea of wear and tear. Are any of the pinch seams bent? How about factory protection? Is there a tow bar on the rear? Is it factory? If so there are some addtional goodies added such as a transmission cooler etc.

With the last 8 digits of the VIN, you can ask Chrysler for a build sheet which will tell you how it was built. That is how I learned that I have a keyless entry system, since I was not given remotes, I didn't know.

Good hunting.

Last edited:
I took a closer look at the XJ today in the light, it is a 96 with 288,000km on the clock. There is no rust to speek of and the underside looks clean, it has been off road by the looks of the dents in the T case cross member guard. Though they, the dents, are nothing magor. It has a pro comp lift in it I think 2-3 inches by the look of it and the components under it, there also looks like a factory reciever hitch on the rear and the gas tank guard is in good shape with no big dents. Oh ya and the asking price is 2500 obo.

Last edited:
I just found one Im going to buy a 91 for 995.
I dont see any rust on it any where other then some light body damage to the front passenger side.

Back