• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How Much Space Above Gas Tank?

danwho

NAXJA Forum User
I want to install some metal strips for tie-downs in the cargo area.
How long a screw can I use without worry. A 1" is too short.
Anyone done this and can help?

edit: 99, 4.0, pre-97 gas tank skid.

Last edited:
And 2 in. is probably too long. Just install the tie-downs past the gas tank, and drill from underneath, you might need to pull the skid for access.

Mike, don't want to pull the skid. It's a PITA to line up correctly and my tire carrier is part of my hitch. But, thanks.

Put that on the list for my next trip up to your place. BTW, how's the arm?

There is room to drill holes AROUND the outside of the tank, and still be inside your cargo area. Measure carefully and drill UP from underneath using a small pilot drill so you can see where the drill lands inside. Once that was done on mine, I installed my tie downs, which land in the corners and used Eye Bolts which are easy to tie down to.

Yep - drill around the tank. I was stupid, measured wrong, and drilled a hole into my tank. Was a complete PITA to patch the hole in the tank.

Depending on how far apart you can have them mount them on the far sides of the cargo area right above the uniframe so then the screws have plenty of room going into the space inside.

If you do decide to drill over the tank pick up those collars that go on the drill bit and only allow it to 1/2", 1/4 might be better, no more, there is not much clearance there.

Yep - drill around the tank. I was stupid, measured wrong, and drilled a hole into my tank. Was a complete PITA to patch the hole in the tank.
Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to avoid. I think rivets might be the answer.

X2 on the drill stop collets, the tank is held pretty darn close to the floor in some spots. I would strongly suggest just going around it.

Back