• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

engine worth keeping?

posa88xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 88 xj with a 4.0, that I parted out, and the only thing left that might be salvageable would be the engine. it hasnt ran for atleast 6 years maybe 7, and there is a chance moisture could have gotten into it, slight but there. also I dont know that theres oil in it, but even if there was it wouldnt have protected the top of the engine right? My question is would this be something worth even considering keeping to rebuild or make a stroker later on? thanks for any input

My advice would be to go ahead and pull the cylinder head, and the oil pan too. Check out the cylinder walls; if they're not gouged or pitted, I'd keep it. The 87-90 engine blocks are purported to have a higher nickel content, and thus are tougher than newer 4.0 blocks.

HTH!

:)

X2 on keeping it. You can give it to me if you decide not to :eyes:

(or if you don't want it, throw it on your local chapter classifieds/karma thread/whatever for free, I bet it's gone a day later)

Back