• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Camping in the Four Corners Area. Need help.

jakeWI

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys/gals,

Some of you know me from the site some of you may not. I plan on camping the 4 corners area Late may to early june for a couple weeks. A lot of my visits are going to be most of the national parks down that way and camping: Mesa Verde, Black Canyon, Rocky Mtn, Canyonlands, Arches, Grand Canyon, ect. Being from WI I am not familiar with possible things I should need to prepare for camping down in that area, change in weather, climate and everything else.

Is there anything you guys could say or tell me to prepare for. Extra things I should have on me to better prepare myself? I wont be wheeling, just camping.

Also, is there anything extra you guys would throw in about the area in general? Is it hard to get campsites at any of those places? Are there any specific hikes or things I def. need to see being in/near any of those National Parks?

Thanks,
JakeWI

Jake, Early June is a bit early for the higher elevation passes in Colorado, and warm to hot in the Moab area (Arches) where it was 90 in the shade last year before Fathers day.

In the Moab area, there are campsites along the Colorado river east of town. The campsites are a bit "rustic" with a stove pipe toilet and you will have to carry your water in, but they are a good deal. I got bit by some darn ant in Moab, it was red and that sucker should could bite (went through my sock!!).

Have a great time!

Ron

here is a rough AAA outline of where ill all be. some of you may remember my NW trip i took last summer for 3 weeks so you know im up to that much camping, hiking and time on the road. last summer was around 5500 miles total. this time, the route comes to a little less then 4000 so im rounding to 4500 for planning purposes. the thumb tacks represent some stops (the one in nebraska is for a break from driving :( )

SWcamp.jpg

thanks for inviting me :(

Two destination oriented forums that should be of help for your upcoming trip:

http://expeditioncolorado.com

http://expeditionutah.com

You run the risk of information overload- hopefully the winter will provide you with the opportunity to properly glean what you need from those 2 sites.

thanks. that is why i am trying to plan as far ahead as i can. i will look into those.

thanks for inviting me :(

its not a wheeling trip. its for the GF and I. you know that haha.

Leave your dog but bring your firearm, if you have a carry permit for the states you will be visiting.

http://www.nraila.org/Legislation/Federal/Read.aspx?id=4901

thanks. id rather not bring one. i should be fine without it. plus i dont have a carry permit.

anyone has any trails they would HIGHLY recommend hiking while they were at any of those national parks?

Two of the ones off the top of my head that I want to check out are: False Kiva and Angels Landing.

Taking the Jeep this year, or the car again?

Good to see ya here Jake. :wave:

Have you spent some time in the Trail Maps and GPS tracks subforum? A few of the guys have shared some great stuff in there.

Last edited:
Taking the Jeep this year, or the car again?

Good to see ya here Jake. :wave:

Have you spent some time in the Trail Maps and GPS tracks subforum? A few of the guys have shared some great stuff in there.

Hey John :wave:

As far as the Jeep, I hope so! I have been working on getting parts I want for it to make it a better ride and everything for that long of a trip. If I cant take it, my GF and I are hopefully taking a 2000+ Ford Explorer for the extra room and comfort. But hopefully the jeep.

I have not check out the Trail Maps and GPS subforum yet. I will do so though, thanks.

Some things worth doing or seeing.

Drive Utah Highway 12 between Boulder and Escalante:
orig.jpg

Your Cherokee or a 4x4 Explorer can make the drive out to Alstrom Point from Page, AZ:
orig.jpg

Take Hwy 163 to Goulding's Lodge, take a tour of Monument Valley:
orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Drive up UT 163 to UT 261, climb the Moki Dugway (ignore the rusty flipped over car):
orig.jpg

Head west on UT 276 to Lake Powell, ride the ferry across:
orig.jpg

Camp on the lake at Stanton Creek:
orig.jpg

Fill up with gas before leaving Lake Powell, then continue north on 276 to Hwy 95. Hang a right and follow the longest undeveloped stretch of highway in Utah all of the way to Blanding.
orig.jpg

Head north on Hwy 191 through Monticello, turning left at UT 211 for the drive into the Needles District of Canyonlands National Park. Hike the Joint Trail to Chesler Park:
orig.jpg

You can easily do all of that in 2 weeks with your Explorer. You will see the best that SE Utah has to offer at a relaxed pace and avoid the more crowded attractions. You won't need a gun in any of those places either. :) Better bring extra memory cards though.

Some things worth doing or seeing.

Drive Utah Highway 12 between Boulder and Escalante:
orig.jpg

Drive up UT 163 to UT 261, climb the Moki Dugway (ignore the rusty flipped over car):

You can easily do all of that in 2 weeks with your Explorer. You will see the best that SE Utah has to offer at a relaxed pace and avoid the more crowded attractions. You won't need a gun in any of those places either. :) Better bring extra memory cards though.

Of course your pic is better, but I will definitely second that drive! Incredibly scenic!

And the Moki Dugway climb was interesting towing the 19' travel trailer behind the XJ.

This was somewhere northwest of there on 95...

wow. thanks a bunch guys. that is why i asked you. i had a feeling you guys would give me some great things to think about that a google search wouldnt haha.

If you're on I-70 by Grand Junction and Fruita, CO, at least take the drive through Colorado Natl Monument. It's like a little preview of Moab. I don't know how many times we drove past it, then one time we needed to spend the night at Fruita and checked it out. Quite different form the usual Rocky Mountain scenery.

If you're on I-70 by Grand Junction and Fruita, CO, at least take the drive through Colorado Natl Monument. It's like a little preview of Moab. I don't know how many times we drove past it, then one time we needed to spend the night at Fruita and checked it out. Quite different form the usual Rocky Mountain scenery.

x2.....right in my backyard....I spend a lot of time at the Monument :)

Back