• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Coastie

NAXJA Forum User
I was going through a stack of old various 4x4 magazines that someone gave me and in a March 2004 issue of 4x4 Garage I came across this article and it shocked me. I had never seen anything like this before. How many of you have seen this done or done it yourself and what was the outcome? Does it work?

Poormansbeadlock.jpg

its an old school drag racing trick......

You have to be really carefull. There is a steel cable/belt that runs through the bead area to add strength. This can cause that to be broken and the results are not good.

Like the man said, we used to do it for drag racing or sprint, but our tire life was only hours not years. The rubber was all chewed up from the screws in short order.

thats old school bead locks we did this drag racing in the 70s it does work you can do both sides also (inner and outer)we used shorter screws and back then.we only used 10 screws per side

I did something similar to this with some fine thread self tapping screws, following in a write-up on Pirate 4x4 IIRC ("Inchworm"?). But instead of screwing into the tires bead, I placed them behind the tires bead, to help keep it seated.
It worked ok on my 36 SXs for the short time that I owned them. Some screws developed small leaks that would need a reapplication of rtv. The rims were plain back rockcrawlers.
I built a small template to use for proper screw spacing to make things much quicker.

yeah I would do this, I have zero experience, but I have heard that the bolts can easily rip out when combined with aired down tires.

I use to do this also on my 65 Mustang with 50 on the back if not the rim would spin so much the tires would go flat. I couldnt get thru the 1/8 with it .360 hp 289 bilt to the max.

Old Drag racing trick, use short screws and running a tube.

Wayne

X10 Drag Racing.

I used #8 X 3/8" screws I can't remember the number, but it was around 10 or so. Inside and outside. The tires were tubed, and they were drag slicks.

If you've ever seen a dragslick in slow motion, you know why you have to fasten your tire to the rim ;) We didn't have things pushing on our tire sidewalls, we just didn't want the tire to spin on the rim.

Tom is right on about the usage, I think that if I got 100 to 150 runs out of a tire, I was doing great!

Ron

Back