• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring in new stereo question

MikeDCherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I am trying to wire in a new stereo on my 90 Cherokee. The person before didn't wire the old one right and I am having trouble figuring out which wire is the memory wire. Can anyone help?

The same kind of thing happend to me when I got my Jeep... horrible job with the wires so I just went to RC Willy and for $35 had my stereo put in.. prof. installed wires and then I just took out the head unit and installed the amp/woofer myself (1st time doing it) because they would have charged me $75+ just for labor not including parts... just a thought.

Is the memory wire supposed to be hot all the time? If so check with a meter and see which one is which.

forget using the stock harness for a + connection on your aftermarket stereo, when you turn it up loud, it'll make your dash dim. easiest cure: get some 12ga wire and run it with an inline fuse straight from your battrey to the unit. dont forget to unhook your neg. cable before doing any work. also, the hanes manual has wire diagrms and there are some websites outhere that have wire color charts for most modern vehichles, do a search.

and yes sloth, it is hot. or you can turn the ignition off and touch all loose wires to ground till one zaps and you toast your fuse. then connect that one and replace the fuse. i dont reccommend this method, but it works.

believe the memory wire on the unit is either blue or yellow, can't hurt checking with a test light...

just had the same issue yesterday while putting in my new stereo, on the back of the stock stereo it will have a battery wire in the diagram, this is the memory wire. mine didnt have the ignition wire so that it only comes on with the ignition, so you can either wire the acces/ignit. wire on the stereo to the jeep power antenna or panel/lcd light wire. these will provide power only with the ignition on.

Bdiddy11 said:
The same kind of thing happend to me when I got my Jeep... horrible job with the wires so I just went to RC Willy and for $35 had my stereo put in.. prof. installed wires and then I just took out the head unit and installed the amp/woofer myself (1st time doing it) because they would have charged me $75+ just for labor not including parts... just a thought.

I've seen "professionally installed". remember they get paid more the more stereo's they install, and i've seen some pretty shoddy work. i do all of my own wiring :p

Back