• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear shock hoop?

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put longer shocks in the rear of my Cherokee, but cutting up my floors is not an option right now... Its too cold up here!
I was looking at getting this http://tandjperformance.com/store/in...roducts_id=259
How with this affect my handling characteristics, both one the road and wheeling?
I'm currently have a BDS 6.5" long arm suspension kit, with homemade shackle relocation brackets, dana 44's and 35" km2's

How long are your current shocks? How much longer shock do you need? If you drop your rear suspension all the way down with your current shocks unbolted, how much longer do the shocks have to be?

If you use that shock hoop, keep in mind that you won't need a longer shock since the shock travel won't be as much relative to suspension ravel because the shock is at more of an angle. And, the shock valving will be different based on the same thing. Some stability is also lost, since the body can tend to roll around the axis of the top of the shocks.

I run that mount. I installed it as a temporary mount until I figured out what I really wanted to do, well It's been in four 3 years and works ok, but you will never get the shock valving correct because of the ratio change as the shock compresses and the shock angle becomes extreme, but it works fair in the slow stuff.

What if you were to run two shocks per side, one on either side of the axle, with the stock/factory valving? Would that make up for the lost efficiency of new shock angles? I'm run the OMEs and was thinking of trying this out. Probably a cheaper option than repacing what I have with high dollar adjustables.
Of course you would have to fab things up to make this work etc..

You don't really need it. You can get enough travel out of shocks in the stock location. That's why you need to actually measure to see what you need.

Back