• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power Trax no-slip INSTALL questions 8.25"

Banditt007

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 8.25" open 29 spline. I am going to be installing a no-slip shortly. I am not new to working on cars/trucks, and am a good mechanic, however I have NEVER opened up a rear diff aside from changing the fluid. Nor am I familiar w/ the parts/terms how they work ect.

With that being said does this locker install like an Aussie locker? (i've heard this is an easy install?) And aside from feeler gauges (up to how thick?) are there any other 'special' tools needed? Anything else that i should replace in there, or things to look for?

Also i hear using a thick synthetic gear oil keeps these things the most quiet. I bought some 75w-140 synthetic. Will this be alright or is thinner oil actually better? I'll be using the truck for light duty off road but mostly on road.

BTW Is there any limited slip differentials out there that work in the open 8.25" 29 spline setup? B/c when i look it seems as if you need the factory LSD chrysler axle for them, but am unsure.

THanks.

I have a 8.25" open 29 spline. I am going to be installing a no-slip shortly. I am not new to working on cars/trucks, and am a good mechanic, however I have NEVER opened up a rear diff aside from changing the fluid. Nor am I familiar w/ the parts/terms how they work ect.

With that being said does this locker install like an Aussie locker? (i've heard this is an easy install?) And aside from feeler gauges (up to how thick?) are there any other 'special' tools needed? Anything else that i should replace in there, or things to look for?

Also i hear using a thick synthetic gear oil keeps these things the most quiet. I bought some 75w-140 synthetic. Will this be alright or is thinner oil actually better? I'll be using the truck for light duty off road but mostly on road.

BTW Is there any limited slip differentials out there that work in the open 8.25" 29 spline setup? B/c when i look it seems as if you need the factory LSD chrysler axle for them, but am unsure.

THanks.

I am pretty sure you would use an open diff for the no-slip. It should install in the same way as an Aussie would. IIRC you need to take the carrier out on an 8.25 either way.

Pay close attention to where you install the slotted spacers... if they are not aligned correctly... when you install the center pin you'll break the ears off and you'll be ordering parts and be back in it in a week.

If yours is new you will be fine. If you bought it used like me, it's a good idea to replace the springs when you do the install.
My PowerTrax was also my first real time tearing into an axle. Just take your time, there are also some good install How-To's out there.
After 30,000+ miles I wouldn't want to be without mine, on street or off.

It should install in the same way as an Aussie would. IIRC you need to take the carrier out on an 8.25 either way.

You DO NOT need to remove the carrier!The install is easy and you dont need the heavier gear oil,specially in the colder climate,the No-slip is quiet as it is!

When I installed mine, There was a mistake in the instructions. There was only one slotted spacer shown in the instructions, ans my kit came with 2. I called the tech line and they said they stopped making the un-slotted spacer to cut production cost and I sould use either one as stated in the book. If You have any issued, the tech line is very helpful. Been running mine for 2 years trouble free.

Pay close attention to where you install the slotted spacers... if they are not aligned correctly... when you install the center pin you'll break the ears off and you'll be ordering parts and be back in it in a week.

^very important, ask me how I know

Back