• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Anybody here make sye driveshaft kits

chris y

NAXJA Forum User
Im adding about 81/4 inchs of lift to my xj and im guessing im going to need a sye or extended driveline i have read tons of articles and i guess you need both i was wanting to know if anybody on here makes whatever is needed and sells them i have a 87 with auto tranny think np231 rear dana 44.. i guess theres nothing needed for front axle only rear but i could be wrong ..if someone would please let me know if they make them and how much figureing guys on here would do it instead of ordering from somewhere else..thanks

Well honestly i bought rough country 6.5 could have went 4.5 but the 6.5 had adjustable uppers and lowers so thats why i went with that then i bought the acos adjusters to have adjustability so i thought you would be best with the adjustable upper and lowers and that kit had them..

Hey man more power to you on the high lift. I think they look awesome with that much lift, and 35's or 37's.. too each his own, but my buddy runs an 8 inch on his with 35's,a nd actually he had a Tom Woods driove shaft, and making a long story short. He blew up the origional dada 35, and I had a nice 8.25 (same as the dana 44 for measuremnts) here at my place we put in for him. We went to rehook up the rear driveshaft,a nd since the yoke is longer on the 44 and the 8,25, the Tom Woods was actually too long and bottomed out. I was in the process of gettin my hone made SYE together, and had a stock front DS, and we put thatin, and it works perfect. I pain 15 bucks for that shaft at the JY.. and if you are careful you can keep the needle bearing in the ujoints and save a few bucks. I looked at all the joints on the shaft, and they were really in great shape and tight, so I reused them. Look up at the stickies for the NP231 home brew SYE, using the 3103-27CV yoke, and that is the route I took to shave off a few bucks from my mod...

Thanks i know alot of guys bash them being that big but everybody likes different things..i have new 35 trxus tires for it my buddy has a pretty big cj so i had to be able to hang..i did look at the homebrew sye add but i couldnt decifer it all one of those things that i guess would really have to study my rear is a factory d44 so i figured i was in good shape there.. and i do understand some people not likeing the big rigs i had a k5 few years ago i bought and it was already lifted with super swamper 44,s and big lift and yes thet was way to much i was scared it would roll over..

Thanks i know alot of guys bash them being that big but everybody likes different things..i have new 35 trxus tires for it my buddy has a pretty big cj so i had to be able to hang..i did look at the homebrew sye add but i couldnt decifer it all one of those things that i guess would really have to study my rear is a factory d44 so i figured i was in good shape there.. and i do understand some people not likeing the big rigs i had a k5 few years ago i bought and it was already lifted with super swamper 44,s and big lift and yes thet was way to much i was scared it would roll over..

LOL it is the "new" thing low center of gravity...LOL 10 yrs ago it was all about to the sky... differant folks differant strokes..LOL but yeah man the home brew SYE is really not to hard to figure out, you have to read about them a lot to finally figure out what they are doong, but when you do, and realize the money saved why not.. MY SYE for the yoke and shaft were just over 100 bucks... 88 for the yoke and 15 for the shaft.. I really think you should have no issue with the stock front shaft to save the bigger part of the expense.

I figured i would rather have a pro on here make one for me if anybody was interested so i wouldnt mess it up..i understand the low center gravity thing but it wont be for climbing massive boulders or hard core but could if it was a must and will be driven on street but not for daily driving of course.

Honestly bro, I looked at the Tom woods shaft VS the factory shaft and it was not that much beefier than the front drive shaft.. I would go with the factory front.. LOL I here them on the low center thing, but like you, I use mine as a daily driver 1st, and then as a trail rig 2nd... I am going to take mine up to 6.5 this spring and squeeze 35's inder her.. LOL GO BIG OR GO HOME.. LOL just kiddin, but I always wanted to say that..LOL

if your going 35s and that big i would really recommend a good SYE kit that upgrades the output shaft in the transfer case from a 27 spline to a 32, one less thing to worry about with those tires!:D

Yea i just wanted to see if some members manufactured anything thought might could get a better deal and learn more mabye even someone local..

What t-case do you have?That will limit your SYE selection,if you have a 231,go with JB Conversions or AA,they are the only American made ones and are extremely high quality.

Honestly bro, I looked at the Tom woods shaft VS the factory shaft and it was not that much beefier than the front drive shaft

I guess you didn't take them apart, or cut the tube open and check them out, or compare the size of the splined section, or the travel of the slip joint.

Saying they aren't very different is like saying an 88 Bronco II isn't very different from Big Oly.

(and before you ask, go google big oly...)

Back