• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Four wheel drive issues!!!!!

DieselPioneer

NAXJA Forum User
I have a clicking/grinding issue in the front drive train when in four wheel drive which is especially bad when turning (left or right).

I've got about 30,000 miles on my 85 Cherokee w/Renault diesel since I resurrected it from the dead. During the resurrection I rebuilt the front drive shaft, put new seals and oil in the transfer case, changed oil in the front differential, and applied a vacuum to the vacuum actuator to check for a bad diaphragm (it tested good). When I first got it on the road (208K miles) I engaged the 4 wheel drive and experienced a terrible clicking and grinding noise in the front drive train that was especially bad when turning. I suspected axle shaft U-joints. I had no issues when in 2 wheel drive so I let it go for the time being. I was also dealing with the dreaded death wobble until I replaced the steering dampener (what a horrible experience!). I know that approach is simply a band aid but it stopped it for the time being. Recently (240K miles) I dug into my front end to address any suspension issues and then have it aligned. I found both axle u-joints bad. I found the forged bracket on the drivers end of the track bar to be broken (which is probably the result of the death wobble). And, I found the upper end of the inside brake pad on the drivers side to have come off its track. Only the lower end of the pad was contacting the disc (my brakes are much better now!). I replaced these items plus I went ahead and replaced the spindle/bearing assembly on both sides.

I got it all back together and I still have the clicking/grinding issue. The noise is significant to the point I wonder if I am doing damage when in four wheel drive. What could it be? I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Nelson

Where in Fla do you need to put in 4wd ? You had better be on the beach !.No other place would it be advisable to have it in 4wd as it is only meant to be used in low traction situations.
After rebuilding all the U-joints in the DS and axles the noise may be from the spider gears in the diff.

Wayne

I appreciate the replys. When I changed oil in the front differential I wiped out the inside with a clean rag. I would have noticed any chunks or metal flakes on the rag. I am sure I looked at the gears but maybe not close enough. I had not thought of the front pinion bearing. 962drrhino, it sounds like you have had that issue. I think I would rather a front pinion bearing issue than a spider gear issue. I'll check out both issues. Wayne, I have been driving very little on the pavement while in 4wd and that is to simpy figure out what is going on with my drivetrain. I think the very little I have been doing that there should be no damage. I have 4wd and I just want it to be available if I need it. Thanks for the comments I appreciate them.

Nelson

Try adjusting your 4wd shifter linkage and then try it. STOP USING IT ON THE PAVEMENT! If that doesn't stop the noise, then I would suspect a loose\jumping chain in the transfer case or maybe your vacuum disconnect is not engaging all the way.

NOTE: I screwed a front pinion bearing on a dodge dakota by turning it around on dry pavement in 4WD. 7 feet, thats all it took. I had to use 4wd because my rear was hanging off the shoulder.

The symptoms: It started leaking oil at the pinion seal, and when engaged in 4wd it made horrible clunking and grinding noises. If you're having clicking and grinding, you can be sure that the sound is damage occuring, try to limit that. Good luck!!

Back