• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge Ram axles in a Cherokee

PstrKd4BrthCntrll

NAXJA Forum User
My current set up is 1997 Cherokee, DPG 5" hybrid lift kit(RE Drop Brackets and w/ 4.5in ZJ lift coils), 33's, D30 with Aussie Locker, stock 8.25, AA SYE,...

I got a line on a set of Dodge Ram 1500 set of axles, D44 and Chrysler 9.25 for $325 with rims and tires(stock).

From what I read so far, these axles are not the greatest D44 cause of the lack of high steer, axle shaft upgrades, and vacuum disconnect from the D44 Tech thread. The Chrylser 9.25 is a decent axle but has c-clips.

I plan on keeping the rear leafs, and doing with a Front radius arm(parallel links not like TNT's arms with an offset upper control link). Build myself a new transfer case cross member and plate the uni body from the cross member forward and tie the links mounts into the plated uni-body. Run 36in-ish tires

If i do go this route, I'm pretty sure I do the swap for fairly cheap after I sell my drop brackets, D30 w/ locker, rear axle, tires&rims from the setup i have now.

Are those axles from the worth my time/effort and money. I've been looking at craigslist and found 1ton for $900+ for a set, so the $325 for the pair sounded appealing to me.

Thanks for your time!! Happy holidays

the frt 44 from the rams is a weak turd, i wouldnt waste my time with it

ugh.

why on god's earth would you want chrysler axles.

that front dodge axle has a vacuum disconnect. poor idea.

dont waste time building those, you know what it takes to do a set of brakes on that chrysler 44, if the answer is no go try to do a set of pads and rotors.

dont waste time building those, you know what it takes to do a set of brakes on that chrysler 44, if the answer is no go try to do a set of pads and rotors.

I.ve done brakes, rotors, swaybar links, wheel bearings, and axle shaft seals on my friends 99 ram D44 that had the vacuum disco. Twas a pain, but doable.

I just dont wanna waste my time on axles that are not that great of a upgrade. Should i just get a set of alloy shafts for the axles i have now, throw some 35's on it and call it a day?

I.ve done brakes, rotors, swaybar links, wheel bearings, and axle shaft seals on my friends 99 ram D44 that had the vacuum disco. Twas a pain, but doable.

I just dont wanna waste my time on axles that are not that great of a upgrade. Should i just get a set of alloy shafts for the axles i have now, throw some 35's on it and call it a day?

those axles are junk, not worth your time, also what are your plans as far as lift tire size?

anything can be done, but why not you just keep looking or wait for a more desired axle to work on and run on it for years to come instead?

i can bet you that i can find a set of D44 axles in 5 minutes on the intranet :D

well one thing about the Ram 1500 axles, is that they are way more common in the JY by me, I never see a 2500 in the junkyard, which means I wont be able to find spares as easily

well one thing about the Ram 1500 axles, is that they are way more common in the JY by me, I never see a 2500 in the junkyard, which means I wont be able to find spares as easily

the dodge d44's and d60's are junk and not worh your time, i still dont see why you want one

Stock front D44's are not upgrades from a D30 axle. They use the same size axle joints and the ears on the yokes of the stock Spicer axles are weak. A D44 is only an upgrade if you install it with chromo shafts and aftermarket chromo axle joints. I don't believe you can even get chromo shafts for the Dodge D44 because of the disconnect. So, a D30 with chromo shafts and joints will break less than a stock D44.

I don't know anything about the rear 9.25, what size axle shafts? C-clips are not preferred but plenty of people upgrade to Ford 8.8's and they have c-clips.

It's not the best choice of axles, and they're cheap because they aren't in demand.

Back