• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much drop do I need for transfer case?

Paintballpsyco2369

NAXJA Forum User
I am doing a 4.5" lift hopefully next week on my 88XJ, and I was just wondering, how much do I need to drop the transfer case for a lift that size? I have looked at kits online, and went a different route than a kit, but in the kits they all come with a t-case drop but non specify how much of a drop it is. Thanks for your help, I hope to hear back soon.

Paint

X2, however i strongly suggest getting an sye or "hack and tap" your own. I put a 4.5 on my xj and the vibes are terrible, not to mention that i go though rear u-joint like they're candy. As soon as i can buy the yoke im make'n my own SYE.

just My .02
J

With a 4.5" lift on an 88, you probably don't need the t-case drop at all. Try it without, and if you get vibes try about 3/4" which is approx what comes with an RE 4.5" lift kit.

I ran 5.5" lift on my '87 with no t-case drop for a couple of years before I did an SYE. No vibes, no problems.

There is no formula you can trust. Every rig behaves a little different, you just have to try it and see what your rig tells you.

With a 4.5" lift on an 88, you probably don't need the t-case drop at all. Try it without, and if you get vibes try about 3/4" which is approx what comes with an RE 4.5" lift kit.

I ran 5.5" lift on my '87 with no t-case drop for a couple of years before I did an SYE. No vibes, no problems.

There is no formula you can trust. Every rig behaves a little different, you just have to try it and see what your rig tells you.
X2. I have 4" lift with no drop and no vibes at all. Good luck

I have run 5" with no drop, but that is the limit. At 6" you exceed the bend the slip yoke will allow. I maintain a properly set up drive shaft will not vibrate. I have set up many of them. The trick is to use the same angle on the pinion with respect to level as the tcase output. Here is an illustration:

2joint_angle.gif

If you match the angles shown here, you will not have vibration. If you go to a SYE then you need a set up that looks like this:

cv_angle.gif

I am doing a 4.5" lift hopefully next week on my 88XJ, and I was just wondering, how much do I need to drop the transfer case for a lift that size?

None. You WILL need a SYE. If the SYE isn't in the budget, then you'd be better off not lifting.

what all is involved with building your own sye? im going to be in the same perdicament here in about a month, 3 inch coils 1.5 inch coil spacers. homemade leafs in the rear to match the 3 inch coils and 2 inch schakles

i have to order a sye kit as soon as lift is fully installed it needs to be sitting at ride height for measurements right..not trying to jack thread..if i can finish it very tough to get it all together front suspension wise..:doh:

None. You WILL need a SYE. If the SYE isn't in the budget, then you'd be better off not lifting.

Really? MJR doesn't have an SYE with his 88. I didn't have one with my 87 until after i hit 6.5" of lift..

If he had a 98, you'd probably be correct. :)

Back