• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Disc Brake Question

uvaldetxj

NAXJA Forum User
Last night I replaced my axleshafts and hubs with a set off an 06' TJ Unlimited. I did this to gain U-Joint strength, since the TJ's have the 297's. I also did this so I could get rid of the CAD and the two piece longshaft. I used the rotors off the TJ also, they sit differently than the ones on my 87' Dana 30.

I wanted to change over to TJ calipers, but they bolt on differently than the XJ's. The TJ's two bolts are a little bit farther apart. They also have a different thread pattern, (theirs have a standard hex bolt compared to our 7mm allen style). I could still have used the calipers but I would have had to used TJ knuckles. I don't mind using TJ knuckles, the only problem I have is if the balljoints are the same. I don't know, but i'm trying to research if they're the same size. Hopefully one of you guys will know the answer.

The rotors appeared to be the same size on both vehicles, as far as thickness goes. However, my brakes appear to be semi-locked up now. With the XJ jacked up, I can barely spin the tires instead of them spinning freely the way they are supposed to. Is there any way to adjust the calipers to alleviate this? I tried searching but haven't found anything useful yet.

what year is your xj, the knuckle and hub was redesigned in 1990 on the d30.. as for the rotor, it maybe that the center hole sticks out further and is interfering with the wheel.
whay not use the new shafts with the old d30 knuckle and rotors, brakes?

for the balljoints, do a search on rockauto.com and crossrefernce the ball joint part numbers for the different years.

Back