• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Welding advice

BADaXJ

NAXJA Forum User
i'm going to be welding some ballistic fab coil/ arm brackets together and i'm not sure which rod to use. i've got a lincoln 225 AC arc welder. the plates are "Cut from .250" A50 plate steel". i've done a little welding and gotten some ok beads but i'm still not sure about which rod to use. i'm also going to tack them in place and take them to a shop to get them burned onto the axles since i don't trust my welding to 2 out of 3 axle link mounts.
Thanks

o just do it yourself haha practice practice, and run a bead with 1/8 6010, and then some 3/32 7018 lo-hy over it

or mig?

o just do it yourself haha practice practice, and run a bead with 1/8 6010, and then some 3/32 7018 lo-hy over it

a root of 6010/6011 series followed by a cap of a higher tensile strength rod like 7018 would be best. i use 60105P+++++ root and 7018 fill/cap and i have welded LCA mounts, track bar mount, rear shock mounts and fabed a rear bumper tire carrier, and some DOM tube to my rocker replacements on my rig. i have also welded things up for other people including track bar mounts, spring perches, shock mounts, wj spacers, set up a few 8.8s to go into xjs, lincoln lock an 8.8, and some other things that i am forgetting. the 5P and low-hy rod is what we use welding up pipe systems.

i'm going to be welding some ballistic fab coil/ arm brackets together and i'm not sure which rod to use. i've got a lincoln 225 AC arc welder. the plates are "Cut from .250" A50 plate steel". i've done a little welding and gotten some ok beads but i'm still not sure about which rod to use. i'm also going to tack them in place and take them to a shop to get them burned onto the axles since i don't trust my welding to 2 out of 3 axle link mounts.
Thanks

the terms rod and arc welder kinda give that away 88.

you should be okay welding those together if you are confident in your welding. you can post up some pics if you would like us to critique the weld and give some pointers on ways to improve. a lot of us here weld for a hobby and some of us are/were professional welders. if you still want someone else to weld it up for you then a good tack with 6010/6011 (available at home depot and lowes). make the tack about 1/2" in length, as many as it takes to secure the workpieces securely, and be sure to have it set up correctly and cleaned for the welder.

Thanks
Biggest problem right there!You need DC to get a good weld!

Biggest problem right there!You need DC to get a good weld!

You can do an acceptable weld and even a good weld with AC, its just a little harder, although I am a little rusty with stick welding since I am spoiled (at work) with a mig and tig setup. The biggest things are the proper rod and lots of practice BEFORE you weld on the real deal.

if it were me i'd first grind a small V between the 2 metals making sure it penetrated well, use 1/8" 6010 5P+ rod, then i'd grind it smooth, do a filler bead with 6010 5p+ buff it smooth, then hit it with 1/8" 7018 LH rod... 3/32 seems a little small for a cap.

well, i'm thinking of laying down some beads tonight. i'm still not very familiar with all the rod numbers and types. through reading i've figured out things like lo-hy and 5P+ but i've never worked with either. all i have right now is lincoln electric 6011 and 6013 fleetweld and 7018 excalibur from walmart. the 7018 is still a bit tricky to get started but i'm getting better. real good luck with the 6013. it starts easily and lays decent looking beads. anyway, i've got some of this 1/8" 6011 fleetweld and i'm thinking of trying a root pass and posting pics... is this stuff from walmart ok to use or is it junk? there is an industrial welding supply store a couple towns over so i could go if i had to but the walmart stuff was easiest to get and cheap for now while i'm still practicing.
Thanks for the tips!

Remember when it comes to penitration it only matters with two things and welding is one of them...!!!!!!

Also, CLEAN EVERYTHING.

No matter what welding system you use, nothing can "fix" contamination. Grind/sand down to clean bare metal. Even "new" steel. It'll make all the difference,..

i finally got the axle back under the jeep... i welded the brackets together and tacked them on the axle then took them to a professional to get them welded on. i think i may have screwed it up though:scared: i had visions of the plates being welded on both sides to the axle tubes for extra strength. when i picked it up they were only welded on one side. so, being in a 3x overkill mindset and being a young grasshopper welder, i welded the other sides as well. i got to thinking that the professionals must know what they are doing and then i realized that by welding both sides, the shrinking effect has probably put all the welds under stress:doh: is the stress going to be enough that i should be worried about the welds holding? i did as suggested above- ran a 6011 root with a 7018 cap, pretty good penetration. i want to make sure it is safe to drive obviously. to add to it, i've got a 3-link setup so if 2 of them are crap, i'm in trouble!
Thanks

i would say your ok by welding the inside too. i normally put 1 pass on the inside of what i weld on to axles. some brackets, shock mounts, perches etc dont fit the axle tube 100% so i like the little bit extra insurance there. and no, welding the inside edges doesnt put any extra stress on the welds.

Back