• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep almost Stolen now no start

eswjeep

NAXJA Forum User
somebody tried to steal my 96 the other day, busted steering column and lock cylinder, so I put in different column, key cylinder, ign. switch, replaced blown fuses and I get all power with no click-no start just nothing, tried moving the shifter around for nss and nada. I am getting power at solinoid with key on. You think starter or solinoid ? :helpme:

that sucks :( at least it didn't get stolen.

I'd bet on a solenoid, though it seems odd that it broke at the same time. Probably wiring harness, screwed up NSS, or something in the reassembly of the column is bad - check everything over?

double checked everything, does seem odd for solenoid, I initially thought something with the column/ign but then the blown fuses started making me wonder about other stuff

where are you checking power? the s terminal (small wire) is the signal wire to crank. there is the cable of the battery that should be below that. you should have 12V to the s terminal while cranking. if you do, i would suspect starter and or battery cables. you could also do a quick check by jumping the two wires and see if it cranks. if youre not getting 12V to s terminal its somewhere in the ignition switch, key, etc. id be more willing to bet youre missing something in column or you got a bad part in there.

Down at the starter, jump across from the big wire to the small terminal on the starter, like with a screwdriver. Make sure you are in park or neutral (manual trans) as if left in drive or reverse it could run you over. If this works, your starter is OK.

I'd double check under there and make sure they didn't clip a wire (purposely or by mistake).....

Check the fuseable links and PDC fuses and ASD Relay by battery. May have taken out more with the shorts.

Also what is working and what is not? Fuel pump?, Radio?,Lights?, etc.?

i had a similar issue on sunday. my situation was this: before i got the jeep it was sold by a 'we will finance anyone' stealership. they had put in some sort of a 'payment protection device' where they could remotely disable the vehicle if someone didnt make their car payment. the device had some sort of a sensor that hung down into the drivers foot well. out wheeling (actually during a rig recovery) i got out of my heep and the sensor caught on my shoe when i got out. i didnt think anything of it at first but when i later went to start the jeep, i got not a thing. the acc would turn on but when the key was turned to start everything went dead (like the radio and heater does when you would normally start the jeep) but there was no starter cranking. i tucked my head under the dash and seen that when the sensor caught, it pulled out the ignition wire that it was tapped into. reconnecting that wire brought everything back to the way it was supposed to be.

long story short- check to see that all the wiring is hooked up and double check for shorts and missed connection.

Back