• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tightened Steer Column, Now won't start!

BlackRock

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all, hope your having a nice holiday season :flipoff:

I attempted the dreaded steering column fix. It took me lot's of research and I added a few new tools to my collection in the process. But all went well, was able to pull all 4 bolts and loctite them back in. Along the way I found a little steel clip on the floorboard, flat about 3/16" wide bent into a sharp V shape with a total length of about 1 1/4". I have no idea where it came out from, after looking at all of the pictorials on the net about this job, only 1 showed this clip sitting on a table but did not mention what it was. It was not the ignition buzzer clip.

So except for that clip I got everything back together the next day and everything worked great, tilt, blinkers, high beams, flashers, wipers and horn. Steering column was solid and tight. Went to start the Jeep and the key spun forward with no resistance at all and would not do anything, did not engage the starter.

I use my Jeep as a daily driver and I really need it to be running right now. Any ideas? Any idea what that clip is for? I can post a pic if that would help. BTW: I have the FSM for my 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited and no where did it show this clip either.

I am on the way back down to rent the steering wheel puller, will check back in a bit, Thanks for any help you guys can provide!!

It's a 1989 Jeep Cherokee Limited 4x4, 4 Door with Tilt and Automatic Tranny. Got the tools I need to take it all apart again, it's 10:44 pm and I am on my way out to the Jeep to tear down the steering column again. Obviously it is something I did wrong with regards to the ignition switch. I remember that I could get the ignition switch to just slide right in like it did when I took it out, it was binding and not lining up on the tab that it attatches to. I took the ignition switch out several times while trying to figure out how things went together and each time it went back in fine, however, the very last time I went to put it back, it did not line up, I forced it until it grabbed, hopefully I didn't break anything.

Anyways, my daily driver is down :(

Any help?? Thanks!

with the sdwitch out can u start it with a flatblade? They are basically a gm column and the cylinders wear out and are crap, My chev the whole tumbler come out with the key

Back