• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Best Quiet Tire

mcbrado

NAXJA Forum User
All 4 of my tires are 235 75 15 and they are all cupped. I trued them (or at least payed somebody to true them) but they didn't get rid of half of the rumble.

I am just going to break down and get new tires before the Obama plan jacks tire prices up this February.

Can any of you recommend your choice for best, most affordable, and most of all--quiet tire. I assume it's going to be an all-season tire.

It'll be for use on the highway/freeway and in the frozen snow drifts of Houghton, MI. I have had all-terrain until now and they just aren't worth it for the noise I have been getting for 2 years (especially since the cupping) and I need a big change in noise as I am seriously going def with the 8-14 hour drives I have to do several times each semester. :)

98 Cherokee Sport 4L/6C

B

All 4 of my tires are 235 75 15 and they are all cupped. I trued them (or at least payed somebody to true them) but they didn't get rid of half of the rumble.

I am just going to break down and get new tires before the Obama plan jacks tire prices up this February.

Can any of you recommend your choice for best, most affordable, and most of all--quiet tire. I assume it's going to be an all-season tire.

It'll be for use on the highway/freeway and in the frozen snow drifts of Houghton, MI. I have had all-terrain until now and they just aren't worth it for the noise I have been getting for 2 years (especially since the cupping) and I need a big change in noise as I am seriously going def with the 8-14 hour drives I have to do several times each semester. :)

Toyo a/t is a good quality tire, and quiet.

How do they true a tire? never heard of it

98 Cherokee Sport 4L/6C

B

Truing a tire sucks.

Basically, they take a flat blade and shave off all the tire to the lowest point in the cupping. Make sense? So you sacrifice tire life for quality of the ride and lose tread, but this thing was howling.

Problem is, they obviously didn't remove all the cupping and also charged me for an alignment I didn't need.

So unless the cupping isn't bad, you're just throwing your money away; get new tires.

B

I'm on my second set of Firestone Destination A/T from TireRack. Quiet, good traction and fairly priced. I ordered 235/75 x 15 online and got a call before shipping telling me that they would rub at full lock and they were right, no problem though, I like the extra width.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Firestone&tireModel=Destination+A%2FT

I was thinking an A/T was going to be too loud after having mine for so long; they were never quiet but they are Goodyear I think. How quiet are these at 70 and 80 mph?

Two questions, two answers;
They shouldn't rub, especially if you are turning full lock at 70 to 80 (sorry, couldn't resist) They only rub a bit when I am trying to do a U turn on our street, then I just back off a bit.
"How quiet are these at 70 and 80 mph?"
I think they're quiet. But with our 4 cyl., manual trans, "stripper" SE running over 3500 RPM @ 80, I have no idea . . . I just slow down so I can hear the radio over the engine.
With the light weight of our Cherokee, they rode terrible coming back from the install at 40 lbs., but they are smooth and surprisingly grippy on pavement at 28~30.

I have the firestones and can say you don't hear them at all at highway speeds. You certainly won't hear them over the engine and wind noise. Great tires at a good price. As I found out this weekend, they are really good in the snow and ice.

I suggest you fix whatever is causing the cupping.. Alignment, suspension, bearings, air pressure.
If you want quiet tires get passenger tires. Any OFF road type tire (AT or MT) will make some noise, due to the larger tread lugs.

Bridgestone Dueler A/T's , Dayton Timberline A/T's probably the best you can get. Last time I checked, the bridgestones were on sale.

I put a set of Firestone 'Firehawk Indy 500' on my stock '96 Country about 2k miles ago. Real nice, balanced beautifully. When I bought the car almost three years ago, it came with brand new Dayton Timberline AT, 235/75-15. They wore great, but as they approached 30k, couldn't be balanced, turns out three were out of round, one was real bad. Tread looked barely used, but the ride became unbearable at 60+MPH. I shopped around, figured I'd try these Firestones. They were designed with Bridgestone technology, well after the Exploder problems. Price was right, about $80 each for 235/70-15.
I have 235/70-15 size on both my XJs, stock height, and haven't heard them rub yet. I don't go offroad with my work cars, so quiet highway tread is fine. I guess I'll find out how the Firehawks work in the snow.

Of all the things that could be wrong, why is tire noise such a concern? Granted, I have Michelin street tires on my XJ - they were brand new when I bought it, I'm not just going to throw them away - but I don't hear anything.

That said, I need an alignment bad on my 87 Silverado. It made my front tires wear funny. I have 35" Wrangler MT/Rs on it and since I've rotated them it sounds like I'm driving down brick pavers all the time. The noise just doesn't bother me.

The fart sound wide Boggers make on the interstate would bother me, but most tire noise is completely ignorable. It's like a white noise that you learn to block out.

I put a set of Firestone 'Firehawk Indy 500' on my stock '96 Country about 2k miles ago. Real nice, balanced beautifully. When I bought the car almost three years ago, it came with brand new Dayton Timberline AT, 235/75-15. They wore great, but as they approached 30k, couldn't be balanced, turns out three were out of round, one was real bad. Tread looked barely used, but the ride became unbearable at 60+MPH. I shopped around, figured I'd try these Firestones. They were designed with Bridgestone technology, well after the Exploder problems. Price was right, about $80 each for 235/70-15.
I have 235/70-15 size on both my XJs, stock height, and haven't heard them rub yet. I don't go offroad with my work cars, so quiet highway tread is fine. I guess I'll find out how the Firehawks work in the snow.
FOr you and those that do not know, Brdigestone, dayton and firestone have the same parent company. Yes, the tire quality is different, but some are the same, especially between daytons and firestones.

We used continentals on our 2003 Expedition. very good tire. looked new when we sold it with 50k on the truck. handled ALL weather conditions in california and montana with ease.

I think they're made by michelin, not sure though. They're Factory equipped on Explorers and Expeditions, at least here in San Diego.

Treadwright makes a nice, quiet street terrain tire. Very inexpensive, and very good bang for your buck.

-Brian

I've had good results with the shop that did wheel trueing on my BFG MT's. My concern was wear on the front unit bearings. When my tires were cupped the chatter would induce vibration in the front end that was cured by trueing the wheels. At $100 it was much cheaper than buying new tires...

FOr you and those that do not know, Brdigestone, dayton and firestone have the same parent company. Yes, the tire quality is different, but some are the same, especially between daytons and firestones.

Correct- I got a nice education when looking to replace the Daytons. Everyone said they were great tires, never saw a problem with them. When I took them to the Firestone dealer to be taken off the wheels, they felt bad throwing them on the old tire pile. When I went back two days later to get the Firehawks mounted, the Daytons were gone-but the others in the pile were still there!. At 30k miles, they still looked mint. They probably would have gone 60-70k. But, they were horrible at 65MPH. You can balance an egg, but it still ain't round.

The thing I like about the Firehawk Indy 500 tires is that they are soft-riding car tires, Bridgestone's answer to BFG T/A Radials. The Daytons, and the Cooper Discoverers on my son's '95 are noticeably stiffer, with a harsher ride.

I've had good results with the shop that did wheel trueing on my BFG MT's. My concern was wear on the front unit bearings. When my tires were cupped the chatter would induce vibration in the front end that was cured by trueing the wheels. At $100 it was much cheaper than buying new tires...

Is it hard to find a shop to 'true' a tire? I'm familiar with shaving a tire, as to reduce tread for racing, but didn't know it was available for street-useable tires. Quite possibly I could have rescued the last set.

Back