• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I just got a 98 xj had a few questions

leo98cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
Hi this is my first post I finally got a cherokee, It is a 98 cherokee sport, it has 156k, auto trans.

I plan on running through it this weekend, oil change, filters, spark plugs, spark plug wires, etc. Just the basics for now.

I would like to know if there is any specific things about this year I should know about and possibly work on. I have also noticed that the cruise control doesn't work very well, here are the symptoms i set the cruise and it will keep speed when i am going downhill or on a flat, when i hit an uphill i can just barely hear the throttle kick on and it totally loses speed. From what I have read it could be a vacuum problem I am not sure though. Any help is appreciated, thanks alot.

oh no! you got a 98' those things are shit man good luck after you hit 160k its all down hill from there you have to replace so much stuff and trying to keep it running is a bugger......don't waist your time checking the fluids you'll be doing a engine swap soon!!!

nah j/k man!!!! Congrats on the new ride should be a good runner for ya!

When you do an oil change use a filter from a Ford 5.0 Mustang. It's about double the size, and is a direct swap. Also, just use a champion truck plug.

Use a napa gold 51515 oil filter (I think). I would recommend the Accel super tune up kit, you can get it from quadratec for pretty cheap. Change all the fluids, including t-case and diffs. Make sure to flush the cooling system good.

I'd change all the fluids, give the front end a good shake down, and give the rest of the truck a nice once over and make sure every things fine other then that the 4.0 is great engine. I've got a fair number of customers who have 4.0s and they last forever. Really be sides a sensor going out and causing driveability problems and the intake/exhaust manifold gaskets going out they are great engines. If the rings or head don't burn oil i wouldn't even sweat 156k at all.

*New plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor, air filter.

*Change coolant and thermostat (OEM 195 degree) consider replacing all coolant hoses if original. 11 year old hoses can fail at any time.

*Change oil, tranny fluid, fluid in both differentials, transfer case fluid

*Checking for vacuum leaks is definitely the place to start with your cruise control issue.

The importance of fresh fluids cannot be overstated. They are the lifeblood of your vehicle.

Enjoy your 98!

Napa Gold 51515 or Wix 51515, twice the capacity of the OEM 1/2 quart filter.

Recommend the Stant SuperStat Premium 195 degree thermostat over all others, but if not possible then get one from the dealer.

Make sure you use the correct fluids--DexIII in the AW4 and transfer case. I like Shell Rotella 10w30 dino for the engine.

Back