• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How much adjustability do door hinges have?

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I bought a beater which has the removable door mod. both front doors angle out toward the top and have a huge visible gap. This lets rain in that gets on the already swiss-cheesed floor. I may try bending the frame a little but I don't think I can bend it that much. So, how much can I adjust them?

Loosen them up so you can PUSH real hard, at the hinges.. I have found this to be the fastest way to adjust my doors..With the door closed you can tighten 4 out of the 6 bolts, then open and tighten the last bolt..HTH

Loosen them up so you can PUSH real hard, at the hinges.. I have found this to be the fastest way to adjust my doors..With the door closed you can tighten 4 out of the 6 bolts, then open and tighten the last bolt..HTH

Thanks! Or when I get the 4 bolts tightened I can take said door off and tighten the last 2 bolts! :D

LOL..True..I have 4 set of doors for mine..The hard part was getting to not leak..After i found out how to do it, my doors don't leak at all..Now the windshield does...

LOL..True..I have 4 set of doors for mine..The hard part was getting to not leak..After i found out how to do it, my doors don't leak at all..Now the windshield does...

Dammit man, why so many sets of doors?

they don't have much play, however the adjustments are really amplified at the edges so a little is a lot. otoh, I've also seen some hinge repairs where the body-side hinge is sticking out more than stock which means you can't adjust to correct and have to cut and reweld the hinges to correct (okay that's what they did to my beater)

Yeah the hinges look good on both sides I just think they need adjusted.

Dammit man, why so many sets of doors?

LOL..OK ready?
first set are stock (elec)
second set are stock manuel
third set are stock rear with tubes in front
fourth set, all 4 doors halfs..These are for the grand kids..Kids love these
Yes they are all painted to match the jeep..I am still working on the paint and body on the half doors..

LOL..OK ready?
first set are stock (elec)
second set are stock manuel
third set are stock rear with tubes in front
fourth set, all 4 doors halfs..These are for the grand kids..Kids love these
Yes they are all painted to match the jeep..I am still working on the paint and body on the half doors..

Yikes, That gets confusing sometimes huh! :D

I bought a beater which has the removable door mod. both front doors angle out toward the top and have a huge visible gap. This lets rain in that gets on the already swiss-cheesed floor. I may try bending the frame a little but I don't think I can bend it that much. So, how much can I adjust them?

The way to adjust them is to use shims under the bolts on the hinge on the door side. Go to the pick and pull and get some shims off a junker. They all have them. Then loosen the bolts on the bottom hinge and slip a couple in and try it. Not enough? do it again till it is. Simple, cheap and safe.

ok that would adjust the dor gap around the perimeter of the door right. The corner of the top of the door is almost flush with the drip rail.

Yes, it will take care of the sag due to worn hinges.

I will check into that. Its too cold right now to jack with it plus I gotta get over to the grandparents house soon!

The gaps around the edges are adjusted with the shims, but the gap between the door and the weatherstrip is adjusted by angling the top and/or bottom hinges in and out.

General technique that works is to get the exterior gaps set first and then adjust the gap between the door(s) and body. For the former start at the rear, since quarterpanel is the only fixed body part while everything else can be shimmed (including the front fender and hood). For the gap around the weatherstrip use a piece of paper and feel for openings, you can use something like talcum powder to check for seal.

Note that the welded hinges on the body have holes in them which you can reach through to loosen and tighten the hardware for adjustment. The fender has to be off to do this for the front door.

See thats what I was thinking. the passenger front door drops just a hair when you open it. I haven't noticed with the driver side door though!

Back