• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Manual Transmission Fluid AX-15

TYphoon

NAXJA Forum User
Okay well my tranny has a slow leak, so I am gunna be doing an fluid change here soon. A few questions. I have been reading up on here about what fluid to use. Here is what I have come to the conclusions of.

GL-3 is what is in there stock. But is really hard to find. Some people run 10w30 in there without problems, and some people run stuff like Redline and other synthetics.

I have a few questions. I want to run the good stuff in mine. I was thinking Redline MT-90. My XJ has 226k on it. And I do not know the last time the PO changed the fluid. I am sure he did, seeing that he was a mechanic for dodge. I have heard myths of changing fluid at high miles causing catostrophic failure, but isnt that just if I flush it? I just plan to empty -> refill. Simple as that. I know I need fluid bad since this leak, and it is getting tougher to shift (cold weather isnt helping)

So to sum it all up, if I buy Redline MT-90, drain, fill it up (how many liters/quarts should I need), and drive, do you think I will have any problems?

Thanks for listening,
Ty

1. Fluids are changed at service intervals.

2. Changing from the GL-3 to an appropriate fluid, such as MTL 90 shouldn't cause you any problems, and you will probably notice improved shifting in both hot and cold weather with the synthetic. I run Mobil-1 10w30 in mine, and I am quite satisfied, especially shifting in cold weather.

3. 3.4 quarts of your lubricant of choice should do it.

Good luck.

1. Fluids are changed at service intervals.

2. Changing from the GL-3 to an appropriate fluid, such as MTL 90 shouldn't cause you any problems, and you will probably notice improved shifting in both hot and cold weather with the synthetic. I run Mobil-1 10w30 in mine, and I am quite satisfied, especially shifting in cold weather.

3. 3.4 quarts of your lubricant of choice should do it.

Good luck.

Can you elaborate on the first number? This is my first vehicle (that wasnt a dirtbike) and I have been going around changing all the fluids and what not, and wanna put the right stuff in. And I try to be cautious due to the miles

Thanks alot btw! That helped

I have another question. In a previous thread it said not to use GL-4 in the AX 15 because it is very different than GL-3. MTL and MT-90 are both GL-4?

I'm not sure if it's the case with all GL-4s, but redline's GL-4s are safe on yellow metals(the brass synchros). Newer GL-5s have a higher sulphur content that corrode the brass. MT-90 is what I've been running for years in all my manual trannies(although I did just use their d4atf in my m3 the other day). Get yourself a nice $10 hand pump and you'll be golden.

I'm not sure if it's the case with all GL-4s, but redline's GL-4s are safe on yellow metals(the brass synchros). Newer GL-5s have a higher sulphur content that corrode the brass. MT-90 is what I've been running for years in all my manual trannies(although I did just use their d4atf in my m3 the other day). Get yourself a nice $10 hand pump and you'll be golden.

Sweet deal man! Thanks for the help! Yeah I just made 150 bucks plowing snow today so I am finally doing this job lol. I usually cut grass (im still in highschool) and winters are rough for me, especially in this economy. :doh:

Thanks for the help guys!

Another question, how much better is Redline than the Synchromesh and Mobil 1. Will 10w30 really do the same thing? I am kinda on a tight budget and since my tranny has a small leak...I dont think I am gunna put the super expensive stuff in if it will end up on the road over time. I mean, if the synchromesh will do the same job, why not get that? I would get the redline, but dropping 50-60 bucks on a pump and oil is kinda tough if you dont have a job and its leaking. Thanks for all the help btw!

FWIW, I filled my AX15 with MT90 several years ago, and it made a huge difference, especially in cold weather. I have no personal experience with Syncromesh, or using engine oil in the transmission.

FWIW, I filled my AX15 with MT90 several years ago, and it made a huge difference, especially in cold weather. I have no personal experience with Syncromesh, or using engine oil in the transmission.

If it is only a few bucks cheaper, I am definitely getting that stuff :thumbup:

FWIW if you took it to a jeep dealer they would fill w/ 10w-30 motor oil. I first replaced the fluid when i bought the truck w/ 130k miles on it, with conventional 10w-30 and noted no diff at all (like i never even changed it) from, what i'm assuming was the factory fill. Not that that was a bad thing, b/c the tranny shifted just fine ect ect. Now as we know w/ almost all manuals in very cold weather the gears are 'stiff' at first and sometimes will grind/crunch into 2nd gear or others until warmed up. As an experiment i put it synthetic 10w-30 (same brand both times) and the difference in the cold shifting is tremendous! it feels as the old fluid did when you have been driving for 15min, right off the bat ice cold! and during warm weather/winter its great. basically feels as if that no matter what, the tranny is warm, thats how good the shifting is.

10w-30 synthetic engine oil. Try it. You'll love it.

I think this is what I will be putting into it since it has the leak and what not. Does anyone have any bad experience from motor oil bring used (corroded synchros, etc)

FWIW if you took it to a jeep dealer they would fill w/ 10w-30 motor oil. I first replaced the fluid when i bought the truck w/ 130k miles on it, with conventional 10w-30 and noted no diff at all (like i never even changed it) from, what i'm assuming was the factory fill. Not that that was a bad thing, b/c the tranny shifted just fine ect ect. Now as we know w/ almost all manuals in very cold weather the gears are 'stiff' at first and sometimes will grind/crunch into 2nd gear or others until warmed up. As an experiment i put it synthetic 10w-30 (same brand both times) and the difference in the cold shifting is tremendous! it feels as the old fluid did when you have been driving for 15min, right off the bat ice cold! and during warm weather/winter its great. basically feels as if that no matter what, the tranny is warm, thats how good the shifting is.

10w-30 synthetic engine oil. Try it. You'll love it.

tried it, hated it. turned my syncros into dust.

unless east of the mississippi, 10w30 synthetic oil magically comes in gl-3, instead of the brass-eating gl-5, SPOBI

I think this is what I will be putting into it since it has the leak and what not. Does anyone have any bad experience from motor oil bring used (corroded synchros, etc)

yes.

tried it, hated it. turned my syncros into dust.
unless east of the mississippi, 10w30 synthetic oil magically comes in gl-3, instead of the brass-eating gl-5, SPOBI

What did you use instead ? Redline MTL ? Part number? I found this for the redline MTL 50204.

brought up a 5 year old thread to scold someone?

MT-90 is my preferred fluid. MTL /= MT-90. MT-90 is a touch thicker, but still pours like 30W motor oil.

brought up a 5 year old thread to scold someone?

MT-90 is my preferred fluid. MTL /= MT-90. MT-90 is a touch thicker, but still pours like 30W motor oil.

I didnt think XCM was scolding that dude LOL.

is the MT-90 a redline fluid?

On the other hand, I legitimately want to know what the right fluid is since I have my uncle asking me and I told him a year ago after tons of research to go with Mobil 1 10w-40 but now folks are saying thats wrong ?

yes, it's a redline product.

MTL is slightly thinner than MT-90.
there's a photo in mod tech cause we just covered this mess that XCM posted.
After running 10w-30 in his trans the syncros ate themselves into pretty gold glitter.

pony up the cash for redline or another GL-3/4 90W oil. It's $12 a quart and you need 4. Still cheaper than a trans rebuild.

Back