• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

96 FSM wiring diagram help?

xjtrailrider

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
I am putting a 96 wiper motor/transmission into my 90 and the plugs are different. I am using the plug from the 90 but the wires are different colors. I have a FSM for the 90 but I do not for the 96. I need to know what each color goes to on the 96 wiper motor(intermittent)

The colors I have on the 96 motor are;

Red
Blue
Black
Brown
Green

The 90 plug has;

Red=Motor High
Blue=Wipers Up
Black=Wipers Down
Grey=Park Switch
White=Motor Low

If someone could look up the 96 diagram I would REALLY appreciate it!

TIA

I checked what I have (nothing very useful) and can't find matching colors-- the FSM that I have ('95) stops giving colors at the plug/split and they doen't match what you've got:bawl:

The best I can say, is that the red, blue, and black appear to be the same for both set-ups-- maybe look for constant power on the other two and use that one for "park" since I know it gets power any time the key is on????

What I'm getting with my test light doesn't match my FSM. The blue is PARK at the plug. Red is HIGH, White is LOW. Only 2 colors match across the plug from the engine bay harness and they are black and white, all the others change at the plug.

HELP!

Red w/ black=high, brown w/tan=low, dark blue=wiper motor park signal, black=ground, light green w/black=fused ign switch output(acc/run), brown=washer pump switch signal

OK, I got it. I took this 96 wiring schematic from this site;http://oljeep.com gw/elec/cherokee/edge_cherokee.html

And since I have 2 96 XJ's in the fleet, one of which is in the garage, I pulled the wire harness out of it from the engine bay after unplugging it and matched it up across the motor plug (the wires change colors at the plug and is not shown on either schematic) That was where I was having issues.

Any way it goes like this for anyone who wants to improve your wipers with a newer motor/transmission.

Blk from the 90 connector to Blk on the 96 motor
Red from the 90 connector to Red on the 96 motor
Wht from the 90 connector to Brown on the 96 motor
Blue from the 90 connector to Green on the 96 motor
Grey from the 90 connector to Blue on the 96 motor

I hooked it up and tried it out and it works, now I need to fish that mess back into the cowl.

Thanks for every ones help.

EDIT - Sorry I had to break the link, but those are TSM wiring diagrams and therefore copyrighted. I do not know the status of Tom Collins vis-a-vis his ability to post copyrighted material, so I have to assume the worse and not allow a direct link.

I've known about Tom's site for a while, and ChryCo hasn't bothered him (yet...) but until we can get confirmation, we have to err on the side of caution. If you want to pass his info along, it would be easier to post a link to the index of his site and tell the other party how to get there than to link directly - from a legalistic standpoint...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back