• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Any such thing as a "Front grill/header panel screw kit"???

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
Odd question, but I'm swapping the front end of my MJ to a newer 97+ front end, and I was wondering if anybody sells any type of kit that contains all the bolts and screws for the front end, head panel, grille, bezels, etc... Mine are all half missing, and I'm sure there are different sizes etc from old to knew. So... anybody?

Um , header panel.. nuts are the same. So you will want to get new ones or get ones from the person you buy them from.

I went to Home Depot and got a hundred pack each of 1" #8, 1.5" #8, and 1" #10 stainless steel wood screws. All my blinker/bezel mounting screws were corroded down to nothing, so once I got the stubs out (tip: heat the stubs up with the hottest soldering iron you have, then while the epoxy/fiberglass is soft, twist them out with a pair of vise grips) I wanted to never deal with that kind of a disaster again. You will need to turn the heads on the screws for the bezels down a bit but I did it in about 10 minutes with my drill press and a coarse metal file.

As for the two nuts holding the header panel on at each end, they're just standard metric thread AFAIK

Alot can be found under the "HELP" line at alot of auto stores.For the rest a good autobody supply store will have everything needed.

I also used the #8 screws. There are four #10 screws holding my header panel to the fenders, since the studs on the fenders rusted and broke.

The hardware holding the grill to the header panel is a little different though.

On my 96 the grill is held to the header panel using 8 square nylon nut inserts and 8 #8 screws. I forget what the #10 screws were for, I think they may be in the same place as ehall said because I seem to recall having to drill holes in the front edge of my new quarterpanel as well as using the 2 metric nuts on each side. Those studs are retardedly difficult to get undone without snapping them, even with the tighten/loosen/tighten/loosen trick.

Back