• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anybody with 4.5,SYE, stock front DS

gabe4

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I’ve searched quit a bit and now that my eyes hurt I still don’t know if I learned anything.
I’ve got about 4.5 inch lift on a 98 auto with a AW4/231/8.25. I just finished the SYE (PORC), now it’s time for DS. I went in to this mod thinking that I was going to be able to use a stock front DS and bolt it in for rear thus having to carry one spare. However the more I read the less I’m sure it will work.
Also since the shafts are out I plan on replacing the U joints, is there a upgraded joint that will just bolt in or is just replacing them with stock be the best way.

not sure if any parts store would have your size at an aftermarket level, but there are plenty of u joints out there that are heavy duty. pretty sure OX makes some real heavy duty ones for like 200 a pair or something rediculus like that. search around on the interweb for the size you have

I have 5" lift, PORC SYE, Chry 8.25 rear and use a front DS in the rear. No problems. I've been using the Brute Force joints from Advance and have had no issues with them. Most of us have our favorites. Personally, when using a stock DS, I don't see any point in getting anything heavier than a HD stock version of the u-joint. Your still limited by the strength of the straps and yokes.

i have the exact same set up,i just used the shaft the way it was with the old u joints,i figure for the price of new ujoints you could just get another spare shaft,also you are going to need the piece that bolts onto the sye to accept the front drive shaft also the 4 bolts that holds it onto the new sye.

cocoloco said:
i have the exact same set up,i just used the shaft the way it was with the old u joints,i figure for the price of new ujoints you could just get another spare shaft,also you are going to need the piece that bolts onto the sye to accept the front drive shaft also the 4 bolts that holds it onto the new sye.

What??
Do you mean the bolt on yoke and the straps or have I over looked something here.

We have a good used parts place here in town If I get a front drive shaft for my year xj I should be all set yes?

Just called, 75 bucks not bad that's with u joint but I'll replace them

go pull it from the yard takes 10 mins and saves 55 bucks

our yard only has jeeps that are over ten yr old will a 96 or older fit

gabe4 said:
What??
Do you mean the bolt on yoke and the straps or have I over looked something here.
oooops my bad my kit came with the piece that the drive shaft bolts onto but it didnt come with the 4 bolts to bolt it on.

gabe4 said:
our yard only has jeeps that are over ten yr old will a 96 or older fit

yes i have a porc sye and mine came from a 94

Not like this is answering your question but I've got the SYE on order and plan on doing this same this to my 96 with a 44 rear and 3" of lift (for now, after the SYE, up to 4.5ish) and have a front shaft to do the job.

gabe4 said:
Also since the shafts are out I plan on replacing the U joints, is there a upgraded joint that will just bolt in or is just replacing them with stock be the best way.

Just buy a good quality replacement joint. I like Spicer parts, and Precision makes a very nice joint for 4x4's... check your local napa.

This has been covered more than a handful of times.
Yes, with the Porc SYE, 3" or 4.5" or 6" lift, and Auto Trans you can use a stock front DS our of a 4.0 jeep with Auto Trans.

As for U-joints. I recommend replacing the u-joints in both shafts (keep in mind the new front has CV's) with Spicer U-joints with no grease zerks (you can't get at them in the front shaft). all of your u-joints should be the same (3 per shaft, 2 in CV, 1 at other end). I would also replace the straps and bolts or u-bolts (depending on what you have). Then you have 6 spare u-joints and all of the straps and bolts you could need as trail spares.

It may seem like over kill, but this way you are working on the jeep in garage rather than the mud and you know they are all in good condition.

Michael

2xtreme said:
As for U-joints. I recommend replacing the u-joints in both shafts (keep in mind the new front has CV's) with Spicer U-joints with no grease zerks (you can't get at them in the front shaft). all of your u-joints should be the same (3 per shaft, 2 in CV, 1 at other end). I would also replace the straps and bolts or u-bolts (depending on what you have). Then you have 6 spare u-joints and all of the straps and bolts you could need as trail spares.

It may seem like over kill, but this way you are working on the jeep in garage rather than the mud and you know they are all in good condition.

Michael[/QUOTE/
this sounds like a plan

Back