• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

modified back-up lights

xjwisconsin

NAXJA Forum User
I had an auxilary back-up light on my old jeep, just a low watt tractor light. It proved very usefull and I would like to mount one on my new jeep. Here is the question though. I would like to mount the light on my roof rack, easy enough, but in the wireing I would like to figure out a way that the light can be used as a basic on-off light AND as a strobe for emergencies (driving in a blizzard, accident ect.) so any electritians have an idea of how to rig this?

Try a wig wag kit like those used for emergency vehicles. They run $40-50. If you use 2 lights, it will be more noticable when flashing for an emergency situation.

i cant help with the strobe portion, but you can wire your back up light(s) to come on via a relay either with the stock b/u lights and independently. i did this with an on/off/on toggle switch. one of the on positions taps into the stock b/u light wire, to switch, and then to the relay. the other on goes from 12V hot, switch, to relay. with the switch in the off position the aux b/u lights remain off even when the stock b/u lights are on.

i suppose you could wire in a flasher unit or modulator in one of the on positions so that it could function as a flasher when triggered and then still function as aux b/u lights on that setting. though i dont know of any flasher control systems available though. you may want to check some of the suppliers that sell to emergency responders and construction crews.

thanks, wireing it up as just a buck up light is no problem for me, and Im sure that if I wanted to I could run a second bulb in the housing only attatch that bulb to a flasher relay, just want to keep this as clean and simple as possible.

I would just watch out, I'm pretty sure its illegal to have any of those wig wag kits, and use them on the road (regardless of blizzard or not) unless you are a LEO.

x2 if theyre in the headlights, taillights or colored blue and red. not sure about a white light though, but theres really no law on orange flashers (construction, tow trucks) that i know of. try looking at hella they used to carry a lot of lights like that that might work for what you want

Ill check out the hella site, I had thought about the legality of it, I know all the snowplows around here run yellows, so I may look a little into some kinda custom jobby to house a yellow for flasher and a white for light. if i go that route would I be correct in assuming that I could just tie a flasher relay into the power supply to the yellow light to get it to blink?

i had a yellow light bar on my old jeep here in ca never got pulled over in over two years driving it almost daily.

IMG00015.jpg

used it to divert traffic around a few accidents like so.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvE5TEUYliU

Laws vary by state, but universal as far as I know is white lights facing the rear are ONLY legal as backup lights. Solid and flashing Amber should be fine.

If you've still got questions call the Highway Patrol. (Not the emergency number obviously) It's their job to know those sorts of things.

Why would you want to have a flashing light in a snow storm? When I see some one with their flashers on and they are driving in the snow I assume they are stopped or in trouble. But too many people use them to get noticed when they drive in the snow. Unless you are an emergency vehicle leave the flashing lights off.

Back