• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

average tourqe for my serp- belt

anyone know the average torque for the main belt! dont wanna burn a pully up!

Per FSM 90:

New belt: 180-200 ft lbs.

Used belt (after 15 min. of use): 140-160 ft lbs.

PS--not a grammar natzi (well, maybe a little) but the word would be "tension" of the belt.

thats being on the tension adjusting bolt under the power steering pump? (95' XJ here)

thats being on the tension adjusting bolt under the power steering pump? (95' XJ here)

No, tension is measured on the belt with a gauge--Kriket II by Gates, 91132:

GATES Part # 91132
MoreInfo.gif
{Krikit V-Ribbed Belt Tension Gauge}
Category: Belt Tension Gauge
getimage.php

$14.78$0.00$14.78

There is no "setting" for the tension adjusting bolt--crank on it until the belt tension is correct, or until it breaks, whichever comes first.

No. That bolt takes a lot less torque to turn than that. I can easily overtighten my 94's belt with a 3/8" ratchet with an 8" handle and 1 hand. This is also the wrong place to measure belt tension. IIRC, the shop manual notes a measured deflection between 2 specific pulleys with a particular load.

Really, serpentine belts don't take that much tension, they're pretty efficient. It really only needs to be tight enough to turn the accessory pulleys without slipping or squealing.

No. That bolt takes a lot less torque to turn than that. I can easily overtighten my 94's belt with a 3/8" ratchet with an 8" handle and 1 hand. This is also the wrong place to measure belt tension. IIRC, the shop manual notes a measured deflection between 2 specific pulleys with a particular load.

Really, serpentine belts don't take that much tension, they're pretty efficient. It really only needs to be tight enough to turn the accessory pulleys without slipping or squealing.

Per Alldata(for my 97) The idler puller bolt is 47 Nm (35 ft. lbs.).

Also the serpentine belt from my experience likes to be on there pretty dam tight. Before I got my gauge I had it cranked down to what I thought was way to tight. Checked it with the gauge and I was less than half the correct tension.

x2, pretty much just need to tighten enough to not slipping any of the pullies and not flopping all over the place.

thanks guys, just seems 140-160 is very excessive! i believe i would run outta bolt before than!i had my wrench set at 27 and it still was soo tight before i reached it so i backed it of to what i thought was sufficient!

Ok, again, there is no tension adjuster bolt torque setting--period.

I hope you get your belt close enough to the specs so that it will stay on when the engine is under load, the alternator runs, and Gawd forbid you have a/c and use it too cool the cabin or run the defrosters.

Good luck.

There seems to be confusion in this thread between belt tension and fastener torque specs. I think what '95 is thinking is that he can measure the belt tension with a torque wrench on the adjusting bolt. The belt tension can only be determined by using a tensioner on the belt itself. FORGET the bolts!

Back