• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bypass A/C Pulley

skywalkr

NAXJA Forum User
Yay trip to Atlanta...boo on my compressor bearings failing...

I have read that it is possible to bypass the a/c pulley in a 1997 cherokee 4.0L but how do you route the belt?

I haven't seen a bypass pulley for a 97+. I'm not sure why they don't list them, I think the compressor mounts are different.

I don't know of a ac delete belt for the 4.0L, I think they all had them.

If you have a Sanden, pull the AC pulley from a 96 and earlier. The 97+ units pressed and crimped the bearing into the pulley, pre 97 the bearing assembly is simply clipped in.

Remove the front nut, remove the clutch plate, and remove the e-clip from unfront of the pulley. The pulley can then be removed.

When you get the assembly home. remove the nut, remove the clutch plate, and the clip in front of the pulley. Remove the pulley and what is left of your bearing. Slide on replacement pulley, and re-use your old clutch plate.

Ron

Looks like Zuki-Ron has it right.

Searched, but I could only find listings for 91-93 and 91-95 XJ.

Plenty of listings for GC.

You're probably in the same boat as the Renix guys--you will have to hit the salvage yards and find a 96+ XJ w/o a/c and grab the factory delete setup.

Thanks for the help everyone...I tried a 70" belt routed around the a/c but the belt barely moved due to the lack of tension so that wont work...

I will get a compressor from the salvage when they open tomorrow...I am befuddled at every salvage yard being closed on sundays here in Atlanta...you can't find one store (other than Chick-Filet) that is closed on Sunday where I'm from (Jacksonville, FL)

Back