• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dodge t-case behind Aw4

2jeepdrivers

NAXJA Forum User
I have been doing some reading on dodge t-cases and have found that they are 23 spline and a round 6-bolt pattern. I am needing to put a passenger drop case behind my AW4 and was wondering if anyone had tried an older dodge Np208 or 241. I didn't know if the input shaft sizes were the same and if the clocking was even close to right. I know everyone says go D300 but around here a D300 is going for $250 to $400 and the dodge cases are around $100 so I just thought I would see if this was a viable option. If anyone has any experience with a possible dodge t-case swap please let me know.

I have been told that the Ford np208 will bolt right up to the AW4, it is a mod on my list atm. Not to sure if the dodge and ford np208 are the same but my best bet would be that they are. The ford box (over the np231 or np242) has a larger out-put shaft alowing you to run bigger, stronger yokes and uni's. Also the same drop as your stock transfer case (driver front, centre rear for LHD vehicls and passenger front and centre rear on the RHD here in Aus) - both the same :D.

Last edited:
I have been told that the Ford np208 will bolt right up to the AW4, it is a mod on my list atm. Not to sure if the dodge and ford np208 are the same but my best bet would be that they are. The ford box (over the np231 or np242) has a larger out-put shaft alowing you to run bigger, stronger yokes and uni's. Also the same drop as your stock transfer case (driver front, centre rear for LHD vehicls and passenger front and centre rear on the RHD here in Aus) - both the same :D.

Not sure about "bolting right up" since the ford will be 31 spline, I guess you could get the 23 spline input out of a Dodge np208 and put it in a ford unit. I'm pretty sure the Ford round is different then the jeep, but I could be wrong.

I am talking about a np208 out of an older dodge like pre 87' I have a passenger drop front axle so Ford and 94' up dodge stuff is out for me. And Jeeper John all of Dodges Np231 are driver side drop, they initially used them in Dakota's which are a drivers drop and then switched to them in half ton's in 94' I do know for a fact that they will interchange with a Jeep because my Dakota truggy has a Np231 in it and the front half of the case is out of a Jeep.

Back