• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Gearing

ParadiseXJ

NAXJA Forum User
So can somebody school me on gear ratios. My XJ has an AW4, Dana 35c open diff with 3.55's and 31" tires (29.5) my MJ has a BA10, Dana 44 LSD with 3.07's and the same BFG A/T's.

Besides the BA10 what's the best combo.

For highwayand/or towing?
For general driving? For wheeling, crawling?

This would be better suited in the Modified forum.

You might want to peruse this sticky over in the Modified forum as well: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=80707

Thanks for the link but it really has nothing to do with modified. It's what I have, what came with both Jeeps, I didn't modify anything. All I need is some clarification, in English, not algebra. As in, which combination works better for which application.

I don't really plan on fabbing or anything other than swapping in an AW4 or AX15...and possibly regearing if necessary. I didn't think that really belonged in Modified. I see much more complicated issues in this forum but I need some info past putting on new wiper blades.

whats better is the setup with the auto trans becuase it has 3.55 gearing and a torque convertor.

i have 31's with the ba-10 trans in my 89 and when i had stock gearing i thought it sucked. when i regeared to 4.10 it made it perfect.

only thing i would do with the auto setup you have is to add a trans cooler.

schooling you on gear ratios? did you pay attention in science class when going over mechanical advantage and simple machines?

whats better is the setup with the auto trans becuase it has 3.55 gearing and a torque convertor.

i have 31's with the ba-10 trans in my 89 and when i had stock gearing i thought it sucked. when i regeared to 4.10 it made it perfect.

only thing i would do with the auto setup you have is to add a trans cooler.

schooling you on gear ratios? did you pay attention in science class when going over mechanical advantage and simple machines?

My Dad always told his friends that I was going to end up working for NASA--he said he knew it was so because the only thing I took up in school was space. :dunce:

did you pay attention in science class when going over mechanical advantage and simple machines?

Well,

a. That was 35 years ago, a few brain cells have chafed off since then.

b. I was more of a language and biology man.
(as in "prolly" is not a real word and I know the latin name of every tree and plant, and most of the bugs on my acre of land) but I ended up being a chef.

c. 35 years ago I also thought programming computers was a waste of time...who knew?

Anyway, thanks for the calculators and info. I really am a quick study once I grasp the principles.

Back