• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AW4 point me in the right direction(long)

deezyperformance

NAXJA Forum User
Got an 89' started with very weak reverse then to no reverse, it feels like it engages but thats about it. Worked completly fine until it had been sitting with the front on jack stands for about 3 weeks.:doh: Just did some general stuff valve cover, wires, plugs etc. Also completly replaced the ground. Could that be the root of my problem? Did a search and didn't see anything similar please point me in the right direction.

Got an 89' started with very weak reverse then to no reverse, it feels like it engages but thats about it. Worked completly fine until it had been sitting with the front on jack stands for about 3 weeks.:doh: Just did some general stuff valve cover, wires, plugs etc. Also completly replaced the ground. Could that be the root of my problem? Did a search and didn't see anything similar please point me in the right direction.

Quantity of the trans fluid and its condition and type?

Fluid was dark with 191,000 miles since this has happen I've done two flushes 4qt at a time with no difference. I suppose sitting at an angle that long did something?

Fluid was dark with 191,000 miles since this has happen I've done two flushes 4qt at a time with no difference. I suppose sitting at an angle that long did something?

Well, insufficient trans fluid can cause problems when at angles like climbing a hill, but I wouldn't expect leaving the front on jackstands for a few weeks would do anything.

Diagnostic procedure is to start with checking and adjusting the shift linkage. Next, adjust the line pressure cable from the throttle body. Next check the fluid level, first warm up the engine and transmission, 20 minutes of operation, then shift through all the gears then back to neutral--check the level with the engine idling in neutral. Next check and adjust the NSS--neutral safety switch, and then check and adjust the TPS.

For the next part you need to unplug the TCU or pull its inline fuse. Then drive the vehicle, shifting it manually. It should give you only 1st gear in the 1-2 position, 3rd only in the 3 position, and overdrive in D position.

Run the tests and post back.

Back