• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What does this fuse control? See pic!

ditchbangin500xc

NAXJA Forum User
Alright so i drove my jeep like a block down the road and it just cuts out.I have my dad come tow me back.I checked the fuel rail for pressure,it did,then i pulled a spark plug to check ofr spark.No spark! So i checked the fuses in the engine bay and i found one 30 amp those was blown.I replaced and and the jeep started.i decide to head back to town (fuses with me) and i get about a 1/4 mile away and it cuts out again! So i towed it back home again.So basically i need to know what the 30 amp fuse is for that goes in the slot with the red arrow pointing to it in the pic.Please help!
fuse.jpg

took a quick trip to the driveway and checked the manual for my 96, that's the fuse for your Auto Shutdown Relay. Runs a whole bunch of stuff on your engine - fuel pump and fuel injectors plus other stuff iirc.

It might not be the relay, in fact it's most likely a short or overload on one of the circuits that relay powers, not the relay. The use of each relay is printed on the underside of the PDC cover however, so you can figure out which is the ASD relay and try swapping it with another of the ones like it if you want.

After looking at my 1995 FSM it looks like the relay (ASD) is energized by the ignition switch which tells the PCM to ground the relay. Once the relay is closed it connects the generator, injectors, and coil to the circuit.

If fuse 14 (ASD fuse) is blowing and nothing on the ignition side is blowing I would start by looking at the coil and the alternator.

Look at the connector on the PCM also, several relays share pin 51 including the fuel pump relay and the ASD.

Well i check out the jeep today.I found that the grounding strap that goes from the firewall onto the head was loose,so i tightened it down.in the process i broke my new temp sensor "duh!".i continued to check everything over and discovered that a connection in the inside fuse block was loose too.It is a factory clip with a red wire that goes into the main harness.I couldnt figure out a way to secure it from moving other than putting some superglue on it.Which i did.Idk if that was part of my problem or not,because with the jeep running i jiggled the connecter and it didnt cause anything to happen.So i am hoping it was the engine ground strap.Heres a video of the wire i found loose though.
http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z...t=100_1828.flv

Had similar issues, covered in this thread. That little fuse has killed me twice, once on the front O2, and once on the rear O2 sensor.

Check it out, let us know.

Steve

Back