• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Radiator

Ian Christiansen

NAXJA Forum User
Can anyone recommend a good replacement radiator? Nothing fancy. I noticed a coolant leak at the very bottom of the lower drivers side of the radiator. The lower hose is dry, so I assume the radiator is leaking.
2001 XJ, 4.0, 231, AW4, 147,000 miles.

I know the 3 row from radiatorbarn.com is recommended by a lot here, looks like it has metal tanks on the ends. $162 shipped, about the same as I paid for a cheap crappy one from autozone when I was in a bind last year...

If you want a GOOD radiator, get one that is all metal. Steer away from the plastic tanks. All aluminum or old school copper brass are your better choices. If you want to try to get by, you might try tightening up the crimps on your stock radiator with a vise grip, if it looks like it is leaking between the plastic tank and the core header. They CAN be disassembled, gasket re-situated, and re-crimped with simple tools such as pliers, screw driver, and vise grips. We reworked leakers all the time in our radiator manufacturing facility. As long as the tank is not cracked.

i say to get a good radiator for the 00-01 xj. the last thing you want to do is ever heat the engine. 00-01 are prone to head cracks when over heated.

Back