• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Average miles/tank

mcbrado

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I am averaging about 280 miles per tank of gas (pushing below the e a bit) and that seems a little low to me

I am wondering two things:

Exactly how big is the tank? I have filled well past 18 gallons.

Also, what kind of gas mileage should I be getting?

It is half highway driving and half to and from work/store
I have a 98 Cherokee sport with a 2 inch lift, 4L

Thanks

B

Been done to death already... I'll play though.

Before lift, I averaged around 340-350, tank took 19 gallons or so to fill. My 97+ plastic tank in my 96 XJ takes 19.6 gallons to fill when I run it dry.
My peak mileage as a stocker was 487 miles in one tank, driving like a bat out of hell from central mass to long island and back, mostly highway miles at ~85mph.
After lift, but before tires, I was averaging around 310-320.
After lift and tires, I average around 250 "miles", I have not corrected my speedometer so that's more like 280 or 290 miles.
I'm changing to 4.10:1 gearing from stock 3.55:1 soon, and going to brand new 33s instead of my worn 32s, so it should be interesting to see where I end up - I'm betting around 310 to 330 actual miles.

what kind of gas mileage should I be getting?

Stock or mostly stock, 14-17 mpg city or city/hwy. 17-20 mpg all freeway. 5-10% less during the winter due to low temps and winter blend gasoline.

Remember to adjust your odometer readings and/or mpg calculations for over-sized tires.

With my average weekly activites, I usually get around 310ish and when I fill up usually 15-16.5 gals.

01 auto tranny 120K on the ODO, about 4.25" of lift, 4.56 gears, 32's on moabs, HD front & rear Bumpers + Rails. Truck runs great.
I average about 225 miles average per tank. I can get it up to 250 with mostly highway if I keep it under 65mph.
My speedo was corrected & is dead on.

I plan on playing checking next week to see if I have a bad O2 sensor or something! MPG seems too low!

"Miles per tank" is crap. You need to do the math and convert to miles per gallon to mean anything. There's a big difference between 250 miles with a 20 gallon fill-up and 250 miles with a 14 gallon fill-up.

"Miles per tank" is crap. You need to do the math and convert to miles per gallon to mean anything. There's a big difference between 250 miles with a 20 gallon fill-up and 250 miles with a 14 gallon fill-up.

not for me, i run the tank damn near dry. and dont tell me it kills the pump. after 19 years with my 89, 1 relplaced the pump 5 years ago just for the hell if it even though the stock pump was still working fine. i recently tested fuel pressure on the 5 year old pump and it was on spec.

you can do miles per tank over multiple fill ups by finding your avrage mpg and dividing that into gallons used and gallons not used. yes mpg is a better way, but you can figure out how many miles per tank.

I like the way to use "miles per tank" to find out if the vehicle get better or worsen mpg because for such as 30 miles increase you know it worked. but with only tracking of "mpg" you might dont think you did got any gain because you only went from 15mpg to 15.5 mpg

I want to say that you'all get good mpg! I have a BlaZeR-2 that only get about 200 miles per tank of 19 gallons (15 or less MPG) and many other ZR-2 owners get similar or less. I really hope my new beater XJ will get much above that MPG/MPT

Phil said it succinctly -- I'll say it un-succinctly: "Miles per tank is inaccurate".

Fine for telling when you need to fill up -- not much use for comparison purposes.

Miles per tank is extremely inaccurate except for the fact that I only log it when I run the tank dry (fairly often because I am forgetful and haven't gotten my fuel gauge working again yet after my 97+ gas tank swap) so I know I'm using either 19.4 or 19.6 gallons per tank, depending on how long I nurse it along once it starts hesitating.

98 sport with 167,000 32's 4.5" lift, armor, and stock gears. 230 in the city, so 11.5mpg, and 260 with the highway and about 15mpg's

That is all well and good (actually in your case bad), but the subject is miles per tank. Nobody wants to talk about miles per gallon. This is all guts and no glory! Run it dry to get the most miles. If you chicken out at 19.4 gallon fill-ups, you aren't playing this game. Run it dry, baby! :explosion

My last tank I went 185 miles from completely full to below empty. This is with 35's and 3.55's. Most I have ever done was around 240 with 32's and 3.55's.

im at 4" of lift trimmed fenders and 33x10.50's with 3.55 gears and stock wheels, in town im about 13-14 MPG (cuz my girl thinks she need's to do rabbit starts) and i have on more than 1 trip i've gotten 19.** mpg. if you do the math 19x19 = 360.

I must have a small gas tank. I try not to let it get below 1/4 on the gauge, which is around 200 miles into it. Takes about 12 gallons at that point.

16.5 mpg

Back