• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10 degrees north american! XJ Build in Costa Rica

XJCommand

NAXJA Forum User
4192700863_73138df258_m.jpg
4192713769_313824fb2f_m.jpg

so, it's about time to start this saga. i've been in costa rica for a total of about 7 months and just purchased a 1994 XJ 4 door automatic with 4x4. already, the building begins. the first thing on the agenda is a total replacement of the roof. for a few reasons...

4192726289_86a5b20d76_m.jpg
4193492518_f18cc826ba_m.jpg

today, we went to a house where a guy had an 89 XJ that had been in a front ender- and cut off our doner roof.

4193499130_840ff6fc2e_m.jpg
4193503512_01e1a3d6ea_m.jpg

4193508688_384fd9f174_m.jpg
4192746529_6e88b645fc_m.jpg

cool thing about this one is that it has an (i believe) OEM sunroof! or as they call it in spanish, a camacoca.
*anyone had experience wiring up or repairing one of these?

4193511850_5ec72e7361_m.jpg
4192754497_f0ea94df56_m.jpg

also on the repair adjenda is the transfer case- i bought it before i realized there were some bad pinions in the H-4 gearing, so i may be in trouble when i start looking for the parts here to fix that.

Keep following, this job should be pretty, quick- everything's gotta be done by December 23'rd when the shop closes for christmas!
that's it for now
Pura Vida!

So, it's been a while and there is a fair bit of progress to report. the removal of my factory roof was an easy process after cutting off the doaner- especially since there were fewer wires going to the roof on mine (without the sunroof)

as we gutted the interior, a few things came to light. one- the floor pan was boasting far more rust than i had hoped. gotta fix that too now that the carpet is all pulled up. also, the seal at the top of my old windshield was totally rusted, it seemed to be a strange place for water to sit long enough to rust it out, but it'll all be gone when the new roof is in place. thankfully the sides and bottom seats for the windshield were fine.

4209746050_e2cba19f7b_m.jpg
4208984437_342888ed97_m.jpg

unfortunately i missed getting pictures of MY jeep without a roof, but we got the old roof cuts cleaned up and lined up, and now we're welding the two together.

4208989689_579b6abe46_m.jpg
4209748122_f83e87e45a_m.jpg

as was mentioned on another forum, it's probably not 100% structurally sound to just butt weld all the pillars together... (but the fact that i didn't just leave the jeep without a roof makes it better than many here in central america) i do however plan to weld in some re-enforcement plates to the inside of the pillars where thankfully it won't show.

4208989017_727e089053_m.jpg
4208988391_69b9beb94d_m.jpg

Also on the horizon is Transplanting the factory roof rack from my roof (the more modern rack system)- to the older roof (which will also help me get rid of all that chrome plastic)

4209752586_638ec114ec_m.jpg
not to say that i'm not planning a sweet custom welded roof rack, but i want to have the factory rack in place at least until i make something better.

Can't wait till January 1 when i get a whole BOX of OEM junkyard finds brought to me from the US!
.. oh yeah, and the girlfriend is coming too!
More Later
Pura Vida!

The sunroof was usually a dealer installed option, or at least that is what I was told. They are made by ASC. My sunroof has a tilt up and slide back, not sure on the wiring.

Very nice work! I figured you'd reweld along the pinch seam under the drip rails, never thought of cutting and resplicing the pillars. Can't wait to see how it comes out once you paint it (if you're going to)

It's definitely going to get painted. the roof will match the white of the rest of the car and the new hood cowell vent that's being brought to me (mine was all kinds of broken) is a lovely shade of purple from what i hear- so it'll either be white or black once i get it on the 1st!

any idea if there are aftermarket, like- radio shack parts that could be used to replace the motor or gearing if mine does prove to be busted? the guy who had the roof before said it hadn't worked when he had it but who knows why that might have been. i know i'd love to have this one functional!

So here's another thing. the last owner did some low-budget modifications to the suspension. i'm not really sure what they accomplish exactly. in the front- there are some machined blocks between the spring mounts and the top of the spring they seem to just lift the front end up about 3 inches. they also seem to make the body heel over a little more in turns than my jeep back in the states with stock suspension.

4211622028_17ed386137_m.jpg

anyone seen this method before? i don't know if it's actually doing any good or if it makes more sense for me to take them out. i likely won't have enough cash while i'm here to look into a legit lift kit but aftermarket bumpers or a custom roof rack would be cheap thanks to welding costs here.
also worth mentioning- there are pieces of rubber tied around the tips of the leaf springs in the back... anyone heard anything about what that's supposed to do?
Pura Vida!

That's a "block lift" or a "budget lift" - it increases the height of the vehicle and the body ground clearance but doesn't increase the flexibility of the suspension at all. Check if you have blocks between the rear leaf springs and the rear axle, if you do, you probably want to get rid of those and accomplish the same amount of lift using a combination of lift springs (or a "bastard pack") and longer shackles instead, as it will function better and won't wear the springs out as fast (blocks result in axle torque twisting the leaf springs a lot more, so they wear out faster.)

Um didnt many XJ's in South America have front and rear D44's?? Man, south america really got the best jeeps!

-Rubicon XJ
-Extended YJ
-The CJ8 with that expedition hardtop

They might have, but this jeep was from florida i believe. it was imported about a year ago.
i just checked a picture i have, the front has a D30, i'm assuming that they are same in front and rear.

Last edited:
oh wow, imagine a south american junkyard...we cant find D44's, they have them front AND rear!

Back