• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

1994 Jeep Cherokee electrical problems HELP!

94xjva

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1994 Jeep Cherokee 2wd, 4.0L here's the problem. My windows don't roll up or down (all four of them, power of course), and my power door locks don't work. Everytime I hit lock or unlock on power door locks it blows the fuse...any idea on what it could be I was thinking it could be a loose ground wire maybe, but a mechanic told me I might have to replace the drivers side window/lock switch panel. The windows would work, then not work, then work and finally they went out and stopped working and haven't worked since, and the power door locks went out at once and don't work at all anymore. Also on a different note my power window motor doesn't work, like the windows it worked on and off and finally went out. I am thinking about buying a replacement one from autozone and trying to throw it on my self. I am new to the Jeep world, used to have a 2001 mustang gt vert that I did work on my self, so I am used to getting my hands dirty...anyways any help/thoughts would be much appreciated thanks!

Check the wiring harness going through the drivers door into the cabin down by the floor. This harness gets loads of stress and the wire-insulation is prone to break and cause the wires to short to ground - or each other.
Usually you get wire damage within the rubber boot that's covering them between the frame and the door
I'm in the process of replacing every one of the wires to the l.f. door. Slow work but definately needed doing.

On my 1992 there is a yellow wire running under the carpet, where your feet go on the drivers side, its a power wire and it was all cracked and where it split into multiple wires the connector broke and so nothing was working, so check that as well

Your blowing a fuse because you have a short to ground, also wiring diagram will def help. Try to disconnect one door lock at a time and see when the fuse stops blowing. A broken swich panel could be the problem if its some how shorting to a ground but most likely switch panels typically go "open" or basically do nothing when they go bad. I've been a mechanic for years and years and don't over look the obvious, ive found some odd problems but most of the time its just a component first, door lock actuator then maybe a wiring problem. ALSO!!! Get a Multi Meter like the other guy said but make sure to get a digital one, don't get a analog one. I've got a 400 fluke meter and a 9 doller frys electronics special they both get the job done. Oh also, if you keep blowing fuses try temporarely putting a circuit breaker in place of the fuse, atleast that way you can wait for it to reset rather then going through packs of fuses.

I've got a nice fluke multi meter at my disposal, but don't know exactly what to check...I know how to use it though. Where can I get a wiring diagram? If anyone has one would they please e-mail it to me. Also any ideas on the non working windshield wiper motor, you think it's part of the electrical issue or just a blown windshield wiper motor. Also someone told me since I have an aftermarket stereo that might be causing the problem too, I guess I have a lot of checking to do...but yeah as I said before what exactly would I check with the multi meter? Thanks a lot for all of your help it is much appreciated

Back