• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welded or locker

01xjkiller

NAXJA Forum User
what would you guys think. i do about half and half high way miles and gravel. and then the weekends its mud roads and timber. thanks for all your input

What axle? What size tires? What road conditions, i.e. will there be snow/ice? What are your weld procedures? Which locker are you considering?

welded rear on asphalt= bad idea.

The rear is welded on both my XJ and my ZJ, but neither see more than 10 miles of road use each year.

if it sees road use, i say locker for sure.

i have daily driven a welded rear, if you dont mind premature tire wear and kicking out sideways in the rain and snow when you dont expect it then i'd say go for it

i have daily driven a welded rear, if you dont mind premature tire wear and kicking out sideways in the rain and snow when you dont expect it then i'd say go for it

always been predictable for me

does kick out easier, but it only kicks out when i want it to kick out

I DD'd my XJ with a welded 8.25 for about a year-2 years. It was alright. Wore my tires out real fast, was loud and difficult in parking. It was doable, but I now have a Detroit. The welds did come apart at one point, but we were lucky and able to reweld. :) Personally, I'd go with a locker if I were you.

i say locker, if you can afford it. after a while, the cost of worn out tires will catch up to the price of a locker. i prefer the lunchbox lockers, because you don't have to set up your gears again. i've never had a problem with the lockright i had in my old jeep. a welded axle isn't so bad, but it does get old in parking lots.

you guys have been great help but if i was to get a locker what would you say i should get...price isnt a huge issue yet. have most everything i need.....for now haha

If you're dealing with snow and ice, I'd go with an ARB or an Ox.

My dd has an aussie locker in the front, yes i said front. not to noisy, cant even hardly tell its there, and my 33's show no extra tire wear. i love it in the snow cause it actually pulls me around the corners especially on the gas instead of pushing me through corners like with a rear locker. i would say to be able to fully disengage it would be nice but still feel its not worth the money.

selectable (arb, ox, yokon zip) are awesome and their price reflects it. also have to set up gears. lunchboxes get the job done at ~1/4 the price with the sacrifice of road manners and strength. you use your rear dif everywhere you drive so changing it will change everything, hopefully for the better. that being said get the best you can afford. selectable, high quality automatic, lunch box, welded in that order in my opinion.

x2 on the front aussie, i heard warnings about it not being good for front use in the snow on the road, but i love it.

ah i see. what locker would you guys reccomend with the driving conditions i have. DD, gravel, highway, snow, ice, rain, mud, and weekend wheeling

Back