• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ODBI Code 41

menos

NAXJA Forum User
So my heap has been throwing a CEL on cold mornings. Right after I start it up the volts are hanging around 9 and I'll get a CEL. Within a few minutes the volts will jump up to ~14 and if I shut the truck down and restart the CEL will disappear. I pulled the codes and get a "41 Alternator field control circuit open or shorted".
Is this new alt time? Or could it be in the wiring or voltage regulator (which I believe to be part of the ECM)?

I am having the same exact problem. When it got cold around here it started. I checked my battery before starting and it was reading 12.something volts. The guage perks up to 14 something within a minute every morning. It only does it in the morning. I have been driving it all this time (about a month) and it keeps charging. Peak amps was 130 something when I got it parking lot tested at autozone. I am going to just change the alternator out I guess when I have some time off between X-mas and new years. Don't know what else it would be. Probably needs replaced anyhow.

You might just have some dirty connections, your jeep would never start on 9 volts, so for some reason your pcm thinks voltage is lower than it actually is. Also there is a delay in the program for full fielding the alt. and it will limit based on outside temps so the charging system may be operating as designed.

Yeah, I forgot to update. I swapped out the alternator a few days ago. Problem solved. One thing I noticed about the old alt was that the case was cracked through. One whole side had separated.

Back