• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

carb question

AwesomeXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is it possible to put a carb on a 4.0 inline 6 ? I know you can put a carb on any kind of v block but what about inlines?

The number of cylinders doesn't matter, but you won't be able to smog it.

The number of cylinders doesn't matter, but you won't be able to smog it.
Smog doesn't matter, my jeep is an 85' and 25yr. old or older vehicles don't require smog in the state of Washington.
Does anyone wkow of a company that makes a carb setup for an inline 6? Or pf one that i can retro?

Smog doesn't matter, my jeep is an 85' and 25yr. old or older vehicles don't require smog in the state of Washington.
Does anyone wkow of a company that makes a carb setup for an inline 6? Or pf one that i can retro?

Well, maybe a AMC/Jeep intake from a 258 c.i./4.2 L engine would work--that is the crank the strokers use in the 4.0 L.

Mind if I ask why you might be considering such a change?

Ok, I see what you are after.

Thanks for the reply.

hey i can't seem to find any 258 c.i./4.2 L engine intakes on either ebay or CL. Do you know where i can pick one up on the cheap?

Have you researched and confirmed that it will fit?

I would hit the salvage yards and look for an older CJ.

Do a google search for guys fitting a 4.0L head on their 4.2's in CJ's. You should be able to see if they used the stock manifold and carb. Also, info about fitting EFI on 4.2's may have some info about which intake manifold is used.

There is a guy on here "Zoro" and he is checking on putting a 4.0 FI into a FSJ with a 258 carb engine--might want to contact him to see if the manifold is available.

Uhh...... you know it doesn't have a 4.0 from the factory right? putting a 4.0 into an 84-86 is by no means a direct swap.

edit: nevermind the first part I read the first post wrong.

Last edited:
Uhh...... you know it doesn't have a 4.0 from the factory right? putting a 4.0 into an 84-86 is by no means a direct swap.

edit: nevermind the first part I read the first post wrong.
Ya I know it's not, But my options for a swap are a 3.4 v6, 4.0 I6, Or 5.2 v8. None wich are a ''direct'' swap. I chose the 4.0 for it's longer stroke and readyly available parts online in my local area. There's not so many parts available on CL or whatever for a 2.8L jeep. Hell I can't find anything at any of the 8 junk yards around here with jeep parts before 1988. in fact other than mine and my buddies xj's I've hardly ever seen another 84 - 86 xj, ever.

Back