• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Seatbelt doesn't stay buckled all the time

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
New issue on my 94... occasionally I'll buckle my seatbelt, and it will just pop back out with any motion. I'm guessing something is worn out in the female end of it.

Went to swap the passenger side to the driver side, and found that torx bolt to be on there pretty good... wondering whats the best way to get it out, I stopped before I stripped it any further than I already had.

Going to head to the junkyard to get a replacement one, and don't have a cordless impact. If I remove the seat first do you think I'd have a better shot at getting it out?

Yup, the spring in the buckle is broken. I had a hard time finding the right color with the wire for the buzzer. Took an extra one apart and replaced the spring.

If you have the right torx driver, take it out. They have a lot of resistance so that they don't back out over the years, safety issue. It is easier with a pulled seat. Doesn't take much time.

If you're having trouble getting the torx out with the correct torx bit, get a soldering iron and hold it in the center of the torx bolt for a minute or two. The heat will help break down any lock-tite and allow you to loosen the bolt easier. Just be careful not to set your carpet on fire. HTH.

Thanks.

Gonna hit the yard tomorrow morning. I can practice ruining the bolts on other jeeps.

PB Blaster the bolt from the inside of the transmission tunnel.

Then get your good Torx bit and a long ratchet and have at it, I've always had this work for me. As previously mentioned there is LockTite here so it's a bit annoying.

I'll hit it with some blaster tonight.

Yup, the spring in the buckle is broken. I had a hard time finding the right color with the wire for the buzzer. Took an extra one apart and replaced the spring.

If you have the right torx driver, take it out. They have a lot of resistance so that they don't back out over the years, safety issue. It is easier with a pulled seat. Doesn't take much time.

I have an issue with my 1990 XJ, driver seatbelt buckle does not work. the release button flops around, stays depressed as if a spring has failed.

How does one disassemble the buckle to get to the spring? any diagrams or photos of this process?

THANK YOU!

Got it apart. Spring is broke.

Video showed how it is done. Excellent.
I had to coach one side off with a thin drift thru the inlet of the buckle, this helped move the tab a bit to get the screwdriver under the end, but other than that, just like the video

Back