• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How to lower the driver seat

XJOFFROAD

NAXJA Forum User
I'm sick and tired of my head touching the headliner in my XJ. I'm not a small guy (6'4") and I need to lower my driver seat. I know I will have to fab up my own bracket somehow but I want to see if someone here has done this before. I know I'm not the only one that has this issue in their XJ.

If I could just lower it an inch or two that would make a huge difference

you guys must have second gens...? both of my first gens clear my head and i am 6'6". granted i can only fit a couple fingers between my head and the liner but still i never hit it. weird

you guys must have second gens...? both of my first gens clear my head and i am 6'6". granted i can only fit a couple fingers between my head and the liner but still i never hit it. weird

Either that your your legs are long :greensmok

6'2, and I am close to the top, but only bonk myself on the big accidental drops :banghead:

I have a first gen. XJ. The seats and bases for the first gen sit higher then the second gens so I switch seats and bases. Gained 1/2 in of space but still not nearly enough.

thats weird because my legs are no longer than my brother who is 6'2"... i am all torso.

and as far as the first vs second gen thing goes, when i get in my buddies second gen my hair does touch the headliner. i wonder if the trim package has something to do with it...? he has the overhead console

the seat mounts are pretty square, i am betting you could section out an inch or two and weld them back together

LOL, I feel your pain, i am 6'5" tall, and well have the same issues, there are 2 ways to make a tall guy fit in an XJ, on is really easy and cheap and the other is more extensive. The latter of the 2 of course is to put in power seat to adjust for the driver. The way I have done it on my 98 XJ is. I removed the 2 front bolts that attach the seat to the floor. I got 2 pieces of steel appox 2 1/2 inches long, and about an inch wide. I drilled 2 holes in it about an inch apart. I then attached the one with a bolt and nut to the origional hole on the seat bracket, and the other hole is the new hole for mounting the seat to the floor. I wish I could give you a pic of this right now, but I am at work. You are basically lifting the front seat mount about an inch, and beleive it or not, this really makes for way better head and leg room. Hope this helps...

LOL, I feel your pain, i am 6'5" tall, and well have the same issues, there are 2 ways to make a tall guy fit in an XJ, on is really easy and cheap and the other is more extensive. The latter of the 2 of course is to put in power seat to adjust for the driver. The way I have done it on my 98 XJ is. I removed the 2 front bolts that attach the seat to the floor. I got 2 pieces of steel appox 2 1/2 inches long, and about an inch wide. I drilled 2 holes in it about an inch apart. I then attached the one with a bolt and nut to the origional hole on the seat bracket, and the other hole is the new hole for mounting the seat to the floor. I wish I could give you a pic of this right now, but I am at work. You are basically lifting the front seat mount about an inch, and beleive it or not, this really makes for way better head and leg room. Hope this helps...

What? You raised you seat mount for more head room?

With the power seats you can move them up/down I guess depending on how low they will go that could help. I'm about 6'3 and have no headliners issues as far as touching goes. Maybe you guys need haircuts?

What? You raised you seat mount for more head room?
No He is tilting the seat so you are layed back more.

When I swapped ZJ seats into my 87 i had to modify the brackets to get it to work. Basically i cut the bottom parts that mount to the floor off the old seats, and then attached those to the 91+ slider rails. I had to space mine up a couple inches ( 5'9" ) but without the spacers this could give you the room you are looking for

I figured, but didnt know for sure.

No He is tilting the seat so you are layed back more.

When I swapped ZJ seats into my 87 i had to modify the brackets to get it to work. Basically i cut the bottom parts that mount to the floor off the old seats, and then attached those to the 91+ slider rails. I had to space mine up a couple inches ( 5'9" ) but without the spacers this could give you the room you are looking for

You got it man, it seems like it wouldnt work, but trust me I couldnt fit in there without doing this mod. Yes you raise the front, but in the same token, you incline giving more leg support, and actually the rear stays at the factory height. Honestly I am just giving you a cheap options that works for me, Try it, and if it works for you Great, Dont try it, and never know if it will work for you>> Honestly it really doesnt matter to me, I fit in my Jeep...Now

Back