• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ok another no start.

AJTorris

NAXJA Forum User
So i was playing in the mud and went through a big puddle and the motor stalled out. When it stoped i was at an angle with the front out of the puddle. My rear was under the water past the bumper. I had enough water on the floor board that it was right at the bottom of the back seat. I got it towed out and got it started again by drying out the distributor (it had a little water under the plate under the cap) Managed to clean it out and put some gas down the throttle body and it fired up. I reved it up a little to burn any gas that was in the intake at all. I drove it maybe a half mile and then it stalled out again. I have no spark, no fuel pump. I replaced the fuel pump, with a spare from a buddy, thinking maybe it shorted out because there was power at the plug in the back that it plugs into. I used a test light and two wires have power and one doesnt. Well after i replaced it still nothing. I then thought maybe the CPS. Replaced it with a spare i had and nothing. I took all the grounds off and put new connectors on and cleaned the mounts. I am stumped on it now. Also my fuse box got wire on it too. I used to have a stick shift and put in a AW4 so i have the hole where the clutch fluid was at. I used that wire dryer/cleaner in a can and did all my plugs and fuse box. Checked all the fuses and they are good. Also now my blower motor is not coming on either and i can hear a relay clicking under the dash on the passenger side by the blower. I am totally stumped.

Also its an 87 4.0 AW4 (was pugot) with about 200K on it.

Just to confirm....did your power distribution center (fuse/relay box under the hood) get wet? How wet ie; was it actually submerged? You could have major problems if that is the case.

ok i have power to the coil and out of the coil. I am thinking it is the Cam Pos Sensor. Would that cause the fuel pump to now kick on?

Camshaft sensor is mainly involved with timing of fuel injectors. Shouldn't be related to the on/off of the fuel pump.

So you said you have power coming out of the coil. Do you now have verified spark at the spark plugs?? You're looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark. Yellow/orange is weak spark which may not be enough to fire the engine.

So, the fuel pump is now working, power to the coil, but it still has no spark? The ECU controls triggering the spark, based on input from the CPS/CKP, so those two items and the connections in between are suspect.

Swapped out the ECU and now the fuel pump is priming. but now it cranks hard and then acts like the battery is dead. gonna check all my connections!

Ok, take a pause and pull a couple of spark plugs to see if it is flooded.

Orange is weak, should be a bright blue and "snap".

Are the plugs wet?

OK, want you to pull a couple and see if they are wet with gas.

Thanks for all the help man. You were really a big help!!!! If you ever go through Bakersfield let me know i owe you!!!

If you are talking to me it might just happen, I have a nephew and his wife in Bakersfield. :cheers:

Back