• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Alternator whine

summitlt

NAXJA Forum User
99Xj with a 4.0

150,xxx miles on the original alternator. For the last 50k the alternator has whined, it gets louder with a load and i get feedback into the stereo, along with a click from the speakers when use the brakes. What can cause this? I was told a bad bearing can cause arcing inside the bearing and make these things happen. Is this correct?

99Xj with a 4.0

150,xxx miles on the original alternator. For the last 50k the alternator has whined, it gets louder with a load and i get feedback into the stereo, along with a click from the speakers when use the brakes. What can cause this? I was told a bad bearing can cause arcing inside the bearing and make these things happen. Is this correct?

Sounds to me like it's time for a new Alternator. Mine did the same thing...drove it for 4 years with a persistent whine until one day it got twice as bad...almost sounded like a supercharger in the end. Never experienced the clicking when applying the brakes, but the whine definitely increased with the load on it.

It sounds like a ground loop problem. But everything seems fine, ive even gone as far as hooking jumper cables from the block to the body and neg on the battery trying to see if it would help. With no change.

I've never had mine wine cause it was charging, and a bearing will cause one to wine, also as they get worn out and it becomes harder for them to charge they will wine. Hope this helps.

So, ten years and 150k miles on one alternator not enough for you?

I did 190,000 ish on my 99. I am the second owner but I have had the jeep for the last 6 years and put 110,000 on it my self. I am pretty sure my alternator was original when I swapped it out last January. It would wine pretty bad for about 3-4 years, does not do it now that I put a new one it. It finally gave up and stopped charging, at 1am, in the middle of no where. I fortunately was following a buddy home after a late night working on his heep, had to drive the last few miles with out the lights, good thing I had some one to follow and there was no traffic.

Here's the deal: your alternator is warning you of a pending, catastrophic failure. Change or rebuild now, at your leisure, or wait until it's the middle of a cold and rainy night, and your 100 miles from civilization.
150K miles. It's time. Bearings don't last forever.

Personally I'd buy a new alternator, throw it in temporarily to make sure it works, then swap your old one back in and put the new one in the trunk with the tools required to install it...

Why waste some life on the thing? They'll take it back for core charge whether or not it works, just make sure the core refund isn't time limited.

Im not doubting its time, I just dont want to throw parts at it for no reason. Especially id its another issue somewhere else

Back