• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 60 Locker Debate??

KJurasek

NAXJA Forum User
I am building a Dana 60 rear for my XJ and considering a Detroit Soft Locker however someone mentioned using a spool since I have locking hubs on either side of the axle. I currently have a True Trac in my Chry 8.25 with 29 spline alloy shafts. I like it, however, would a Detroit Locker be better in the D 60? Would a spool be the same as the Detroit Locker with one hub unlocked? I like the thought of both axles being able to spin when needed (True Trac limited slip).

Just looking for some viewpoints here.

True Trac?

Detroit Locker?

Spool?

Hmm....

you have rear lockouts? I dont suggest a spool unless its off road only. A spool is horrible on the road. I suggest ARB, cause i have them. On when you want and OFF when you want.

If your on a budget, then get a lunhbox type.

I currently have a True Trac in my Chry 8.25 with 29 spline alloy shafts. I like it, however, would a Detroit Locker be better in the D 60? Would a spool be the same as the Detroit Locker with one hub unlocked? I like the thought of both axles being able to spin when needed (True Trac limited slip).

Just looking for some viewpoints here.

True Trac?

Detroit Locker?

Spool?

Hmm....

The True Trac is a limited slip, so it tries to put power to both axles but the axles are never locked together. The Detroit is what's called an automatic locker, it locks both axles together most of the time but it will automatically allow one tire to spin ahead of the other in corners so there is no tire scuffing. A spool locks both axles together all the time, so on the street in corners the tires will scuff.

Go with the Detroit.

Seems the Detroit Locker is the option to go with. Some slip is necessary. The front axle is going to have a True Trac. Seems like a good combo.

Depending on what kind of wheeling you do, the front Tru-Trac might be annoying on the trail. Like any limited slip, they slip the most when you need them the most. If you do much rockcrawling or hill-climbing, having that one front tire stop tracking frequently would be annoying.

I'd go ARB in the front. My CJ is set up full Detroit rear, ARB front. It's a great combo, I love it.

ya i run an aussie lunchbox locker in the rear and an ARB in the front and love the combo. i think i would go with the Eaton E locker though so you dont have to mess with air lines. but its awesome being able to select when you want it engaged.

The trutrac in the front would be really nice, and does well in rocks. Great on the street, and in snow its really good too. the truetrac is the best "posi" out there.

Back