• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Limit Strap Kits?

philagony94xj

NAXJA Forum User
Just wondering where i can find some limit straps in different lengths? I've searched and come up with next to nothing. I did see the kit from Trek's offroad, but thats a kit to work with their long arm setup.

I'm looking for someplace that will make them to your specific length requirements. I'm sick of my axle hanging by my shocks when i lift it on a hoist. Seems like too much stress on them.

Phil

Ditto.

They're all over the place, sold in 1" increments. Those two places quoted above also sell small tabs to use to mount them.

Thanks guys, those sites were helpful. They both seem to be exactly what i am looking for. I would feel so much better if i had them on. Not having to worry about drooping the suspension too far and putting strain on parts that shouldnt be.

Is there any good place on the front axle and frame sides to mount these things? I was thinking as close to the springs and shocks as possible. School me please.

Just a heads up for guys with suck down winches, don't try to use synthetic winch rope as a limit strap. Or if you do don't shock load the rope excessively, it has zero stretch and won't take the shock very well. We are working on getting ropes that stretch a bit to use for this application though.

-Alex

got mine from polyperformance too. here is how i mounted them. just welded a tab on the lower arm. welded a plate to the frame. welded a nut to the plate. the frame is also tapped.
363181432.jpg

What about just mounting them on each eye of the shock? i have seen it done this way a few times.

I've made some using a swagging tool and cable. Then used D rings to make them removable. This was a quick down/dirty job that worked surprisingly well.

P1010013.jpg

If the picture disappears overnight ... it's because I shut the server down. Just hang on until the morning.

As for why I made it removable .... it was so the owner could max it on the ramp at his own discretion. The other nice bonus ... is that you can make a very short one for trail repairs. That way you don't have to contend with suspension droop when you are trying to use a high lift jack.

Might try it again on Project Tech Snob. More refined this time, of course. :rolleyes:

Joe

Joe, looks great and it appeals to my budgetary sense but won't the one in the picture smack into the exhaust at full droop? Looks like a close call, I wouldn't want nylon covered steel wire rope on my exhaust.

No problem, I'll trust you on it, just looked funny in that pic.

Decided to post it anways ... since there is always a naysayer somewhere. :wave:

P1010010.JPG

P1010012.JPG

Keep in mind ... this is a TJ that the work was done on. But the XJ shouldn't be any worse, since the exhaust is routed differently.

I used an old seatbelt with 1/4'' mounts. My girlfriends mom was nice enough to stitch them up for me. Cost to me: $0

Upper mount is the BPE, lower is a tab welded to my radius arms.
052.jpg

having the strap attatched to the upper BPE doesnt put stress on the thin sheet metal mount of the body?

having the strap attatched to the upper BPE doesnt put stress on the thin sheet metal mount of the body?
No more than using your shocks as a limit strap.

Call around to the manufactures, I got mine from a NAXJA member who goes directly through Beard/RedArt and they were significantly cheaper than Poly's or BTF's. That is unless you need other stuff like tabs and bolts to go with them.

Last edited:
alright thats the answer i was looking for. thanks!

i have another question. when buying limiting straps are the lengths measured from the eye hole to eye hole or from the end of the strap itself to the other end of the strap? and how much do the straps usually stretch?

i have another question. when buying limiting straps are the lengths measured from the eye hole to eye hole or from the end of the strap itself to the other end of the strap? and how much do the straps usually stretch?

Measured from the mounting bolt to the mounting bolt.
Stretch will depend on the brand, the length, the number of wraps, and the weight of what it is holding up (axles, tires, etc). Typically about 3/4"-1" stretch per 12" of length.

well im getting the 10" travel bilstein 5100s and they extend to something like 25.91" so i figure that a 24" strap will work if i attatch it to the two ends of the shocks. i will have BPEs on both ends too. does this sound like it wil work?

Back