• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Big help needed. Frozen bolt on lift install.

Cottontail

Three-De Off-Road
NAXJA Member
Alright, I may have gotten myself in too deep here.

Doing a 3.5" RE lift on an '01.

All 4 bolts on the rear springs were rusted to the inside sleeve of the rubber bushing. I eventually got the passenger side done with a little cutting as possible and used an angle grinder to cut off the bolt on the rear of the drivers side.

Then I used the angle grinder to cut off the end of the leaf pack on the front, eventually leaving only the inner metal sleeve and the bolt.

When I broke something free, the sleeve moved with the bolt, so I cut off the head of the bolt, then cut the bolt again, about 3/4 of the way down, figuring I could just use a vice grip to unscrew the bolt stub where it is still in the welded on nut inside the frame rail.

Well, that didn't work. The bolt stayed tight and the vice grips just kept wearing our the threads, so then I cut the bolt off again level with the frame rail, thinking I would just drill it out.

Here is where it started going south.

I went to Home Depot and they suggested an extractor set. I tried to drill out the pilot hole, but I get about 1/8 of an inch in and nothing more. I noticed that the more I drill, the less metal flaking I get coming out, and the more flat spotted my drill bit tip is.

WHAT NOW??? How do I get that damned ole stub out????? I thought about cutting a hole in the floor pan, but in measuring, it appears that the bolt is directly below the 4 inch metal "lip" that runs the length of the truck that the seats attach to.

I am out of ideas. I can't take it anywhere because of the lack of a leaf spring on that side.

I don't have welding tools, a plasma cutter, or any other fancy tools.

Please help me out! Any and all ideas will be entertained...

Thank y'all

Dirk DeYoung

i would try better drill bits first, bosch makes very good bits

owning my jeep has made be realize that cheap tools are no longer worth owning

take your angle grinder and cut 3 relief cuts in the pocket where the welded nut is. break the nut loose and pull it out. then when you put a new one in, just maneuver a new nut in there tighten it down. drive to a shop and they will spot weld that nut to your frame for free if you ask nicely.

good luck man! i hope that helps, i didnt really understand your question fully. post some pics up

Yeah, it sounds like you need to get at the bolt on the inside of the rail. Do it from the outside instead of the inside. Cut a box out of the frame rail big enough for you to get at it with whatever tools. Leave it open until there is a new nut/washer on it, and the new spring is in place. Get the nut spot welded where it is (as mentioned above) so it is easier next time. The close the hole in the frame rail.

you need better bits to finish that up, or optionally you can use a dremel to cut a flap in the leaf pocket and hammer off the bolt and weld nut

for the other side cut the leaf eye and hack your way through the bushing to spread the inner sleeve off the bolt with a chisel

Back