• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep will start and idle, then dies.

tonexj

NAXJA Forum User
okay so i replaced the CPS, IAC, and TPS. and distributor. and cap, and rotor.

the jeep runs great randomly. then suddenly it'll die. does the color of the spark coming out of the coil tell me anything? because it's really yellow and doesn't seem too strong. this was tested on the coil wire coming out of the coil that goes into the distributor.

now it won't idle, but seems to run if you keep it over 1500rpm, but eventually it'll still die (maybe 5 minutes)

its gotta be simple does anyone have any advice on this?

Have you tried replacing the coil? At this point almost sounds like that is the next place to go, except maybe plugs and plug wires.

What is the condition of your battery?

What year/engine? Always good to include this information and will lead to most accurate responses.

As Joe mentioned, be sure battery is up to snuff. Load testing is the best way to determine this.

Yellow spark = Weak spark, which may not be enough to start the engine. You are looking for a strong, blue, snapping spark.

The smoking gun here is the color of the spark. Testing of the ignition coil is never a bad idea. They can be tested for primary and secondary resistance.

Fuel pump or fuel filter,check for proper pressure and flow

Wayne

I am having the same issue with my wife's 98'. It has 145,000 mile on it and lately at idle waiting for the stop light to turn green it will die. Takes 5 minutes to restart and won't stay at idle.

Back