• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Custom front crossmember

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Has anyone replaced their front crossmember with a custom one. I bought a beater rig today and the front crossmember is gone. I thought about just welding some plate steel on there while we have it apart to fix the crack in the frame behind the steering box. Any suggestions for me. Its gonna be a DD for a short time so I need to get it on the road.

Alot of my chevy friends use chunks of railroad track! lol

Has anyone replaced their front crossmember with a custom one. I bought a beater rig today and the front crossmember is gone. I thought about just welding some plate steel on there while we have it apart to fix the crack in the frame behind the steering box. Any suggestions for me. Its gonna be a DD for a short time so I need to get it on the road.

beat out the stock one as best as possible and weld 1/8th inch or 3/16 across it for the time being - or - build one from box tubing and 1/4 plate - the dimensions are very simple to draw out on cardboard and remake but for now just buzz on to your stock, reinforce as necessary and then look aftermarket or take the time to build right

beat out the stock one as best as possible and weld 1/8th inch or 3/16 across it for the time being - or - build one from box tubing and 1/4 plate - the dimensions are very simple to draw out on cardboard and remake but for now just buzz on to your stock, reinforce as necessary and then look aftermarket or take the time to build right

What stock one? :D I didn't even think of using box tubing. Maybe that is what I will do. This is just an old beater. As long as it is solid I'm not too picky about how it looks.

How bad is your old ARB? Can you get it back?

Take that, add some 1/4" plate to catch the steering box bolts on the drivers side, and maybe the back bolt on the pass side, and it'll be stronger than stock!

Robert

Simple plate across the front of it, doesn't have to be anything fancy. You don't need the holes in it either. That stock crossmember is so flimsy almost anything will be stronger. I welded a couple sections of tubing across the front of mine, between the bumper mounts (which were welded on).

How bad is your old ARB? Can you get it back?

Take that, add some 1/4" plate to catch the steering box bolts on the drivers side, and maybe the back bolt on the pass side, and it'll be stronger than stock!

Robert

I'm getting the Jeep back. The bumper actually looks good for hitting a car. It has one dent and a busted out marker light The brushguard is straight as an arrow! I think I can order the mounts from ARB if need be.

Simple plate across the front of it, doesn't have to be anything fancy. You don't need the holes in it either. That stock crossmember is so flimsy almost anything will be stronger. I welded a couple sections of tubing across the front of mine, between the bumper mounts (which were welded on).

Thats what I am thinking. I need to fix the crack in the frame and throw the c-rok plate on the inside and JCR tie in plates on both sides. Big Hank is one hell of a welder so I got that covered. I would have my dad do it but Gene lives a lot closer!

Aaron when do you want to go get it?? Do you still have my phone number?

Not Sure Jeff. This insurance guy is afraid to meet me face to face or something! I was supposed to bring him some receipts after work on Friday and By the time I got there he was gone. If you would PM me your number I will give you a call . Does your trailer have a winch on it?

my frame was pretty damaged up front from cracking around my steering box brace and trackbar mount as well as somehow a rock got behind my front bumper and tore into my crossmember pretty good.

so i built this:

theres about 1/4" of room between it and the steering box.

it's 1/4" 2x6" box tubing

frontcrossmember001.jpg

i cut the frame at a good angle to get it as high clearance as i could

frontcrossmember002.jpg

finished product

9131_139805994718_789279718_2367809_789086_n.jpg

for the new jeep i have a used cutting edge from a plow i think im gonna use

it's 1/2" thick about 5" tall and i could get it tighter to the body (steering box limited me with the 2x6)

my frame was pretty damaged up front from cracking around my steering box brace and trackbar mount as well as somehow a rock got behind my front bumper and tore into my crossmember pretty good.

so i built this:

theres about 1/4" of room between it and the steering box.

it's 1/4" 2x6" box tubing

frontcrossmember001.jpg

i cut the frame at a good angle to get it as high clearance as i could

frontcrossmember002.jpg

finished product

9131_139805994718_789279718_2367809_789086_n.jpg

for the new jeep i have a used cutting edge from a plow i think im gonna use

it's 1/2" thick about 5" tall and i could get it tighter to the body (steering box limited me with the 2x6)

Dude that looks awesome, I think i will do something along those lines. Since its a beater it will really only be on the road to get me back and forth to work and in the summer. It has the hinges cut already so I can leave the doors off A LOT! :D

Back