• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front Sway Bar Bushing Replacement

Emerscape

NAXJA Forum User
Looks like my front swaybar bushings are shot. Anyone know what size I need for a 2000 xj 4.0?

Also can I just unbolt each bushing and replace without having to take off the sway bar? What about having to jack it up?

I'm hoping that I can just slide under it in my parking garage and replace each bushing one at a time..

BTW the jeep dealer wanted $190 to replace them... I laughed at them.

Should have no problem changing those bushings. It´s an easy job. I disconect the swaybar links too. Don´t pay that kind of money, do it yourself. Good Luck

Difficult- no
jack up the jeep- no

I removed the links as well- made it easier. Suggest some penetrating oil on the exposed nuts. The bolts holding the bar to the unibody will probably be somewhat rusty. Will take some work to get them out. Just be careful on the reassembly not to cross the threads. If they are really rusty, you can get a metric tap from the autoparts store for less than $10 to chase the rust out of the threads. Definitely use the grease supplied with the new bushings liberally. I don't think I put enough on (even though I used the entire tube), my sway bar squeeks a bit when it is really cold.

I replaced mine a while back with poly bushing, I greased them with what I thought was enough and they make tons of noise now. I guess the cold makes them harder so that's why I'm hearing them more. I herd poly bushing will squeak but what I'm hearing is more of a screeching sound and it's definitely those bushing.

Use tons of grease if you go poly.

Vatozone has everything you need, including new links if you manage to snap one

don't let the front axle droop while you try to remove the top nuts on the links, since the pressure the bar puts on the bushings/nuts can cause you to snap the link in half (ask me how i know)

Back