• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

steel box rockers...possible future psuedo-boatside

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
So I'm going home Christmas weekend to work on rocker replacement. I took my olympic 4x4 sliders off when I welded on my HDO stiffeners and now need rocker protection....or replacement :viking:

I want to use this and the frame stiffeners as a base to "skin" in the future. I like 3/16" plate and the UMHW ideas from this thread (http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=962311&highlight=boatside).

I know theres a bunch of different choices on what size tube to use. I've seen 2x6, 3x4, 2x4, 3x3, etc. used. I've been thinking of 2x6 for a while so that I have plenty of space to use a highlift jack on. The above mentioned skin could go from the stiffener to a groove ground into the 2x6 at 4 inches out leaving 2 inches exposed on the outside for the jack. Make sense?

Any thoughts?

I used 2x4 3/16, then added 2x2 3/16 "extensons". I like that they stick out and protect the doors and they are good to stand on. They also work good in tight trails, i can "slide" around trees.

K-Rocks002.jpg

Yeah, I don't understand what the point is of extending out with more welding instead of just doing with one piece? KISS, ya know?

i did my rocker replacment with 3x4 1/4" wall box tube on my rig with AJs pre-bent round tube added on (http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.net/images/Img_2016.jpg). i love them and they are working great.

you mention wanting to boat side and still be able to use a high lift on it. for that i would suggest 2x4" or 3x4" box for the rocker portion and then a tube added on to it. this would give you the rocker protection and still have an area for the high lift to use. i havent had to use a high lift yet on my rigs tube, but it has supported a large percent of my rigs weight in a near flop so i have no doubt it will be more than sufficient for a highlift.

i did my rocker replacment with 3x4 1/4" wall box tube on my rig with AJs pre-bent round tube added on (http://www.ajsoffroadarmor.net/images/Img_2016.jpg). i love them and they are working great.

you mention wanting to boat side and still be able to use a high lift on it. for that i would suggest 2x4" or 3x4" box for the rocker portion and then a tube added on to it. this would give you the rocker protection and still have an area for the high lift to use. i havent had to use a high lift yet on my rigs tube, but it has supported a large percent of my rigs weight in a near flop so i have no doubt it will be more than sufficient for a highlift.

But to play devil's advocate for the super simple method, what benefit does a 2x4 with those 2" of AJ's tubes welded to the outside offer over just using 2x6 other than a personal preference of looks? Is there a functional purpose, because frankly, I think I like the look of the just box better.

I used 2X6 with 1 1/2 X 3" kickers to the frame and a piece of 2X2 on top of the rail going up into the door sill and plug welded in place. I have abused them mercilessly with no issues.

th_Misc8-16094.jpg

th_Misc8-16101.jpg

th_DSCF1262.jpg

Awesome John, thanks!

I knew I needed some kind of filler to put on the inside of the door sill area but wasn't sure about the size. When you say that it was plug welded, is that just in the actual door sill area, say under the plastic treads?

Also, do you have bigger pics?

But to play devil's advocate for the super simple method, what benefit does a 2x4 with those 2" of AJ's tubes welded to the outside offer over just using 2x6 other than a personal preference of looks? Is there a functional purpose, because frankly, I think I like the look of the just box better.

i like having the tube so there is something for a high lift to bite onto. IF it was a true boat side with the angled plate all the way to the outside edge, there wouldnt be a surface for the high lift to grab onto. the tube also allows for there to be a little bit of allowance for angles with the jack. there would be less chance of the vehicle coming off the jack. but thats just how my little brain is working right now

Well it wouldn't be a true boatside anyway since I'm not moving it half way up the side of the jeep. What I was trying to say earlier is that the skin would only come out to 4 inches of the six inches of tube leaving 2 inches exposed for lift.

100_0115.jpg

This guy used 2x4. Mine would look exactly the same with respect to the skin size and angle, it would just have 2 extra inches of the box tubing sticking out. Make sense?

sounds groovy

Well it wouldn't be a true boatside anyway since I'm not moving it half way up the side of the jeep. What I was trying to say earlier is that the skin would only come out to 4 inches of the six inches of tube leaving 2 inches exposed for lift.

100_0115.jpg

This guy used 2x4. Mine would look exactly the same with respect to the skin size and angle, it would just have 2 extra inches of the box tubing sticking out. Make sense?
Makes sense, sounds like it would stiffen the rig and be real functional in the rocks, too. I've been thinking about doing the same in my rig, only problem is I lack money, time, a place to work and a welder. Anyway...
My only thought on 2x4 + hoop vs 2x6, function wise, is that the hoop is going to drain mud / snow / ice better than a flat sort of shelf below the doors.

I used 2x4 3/16, then added 2x2 3/16 "extensons". I like that they stick out and protect the doors and they are good to stand on. They also work good in tight trails, i can "slide" around trees.

K-Rocks002.jpg

You have any other pics of your slider setup? pm me

Awesome John, thanks!

I knew I needed some kind of filler to put on the inside of the door sill area but wasn't sure about the size. When you say that it was plug welded, is that just in the actual door sill area, say under the plastic treads?

Also, do you have bigger pics?
Yes, I drilled 3/8" holes in the top of the door sills and plug welded the 2X2 to it. Those pix are the biggest ones I have.

I see everybody talking about spacers tapers or right angle brackets can you just remove the rocker panel and weld in square tube
like this?

251421_202376009816823_1114637_n.jpg

185565_202376029816821_1894540_n.jpg

184155_202376096483481_5441999_n.jpg

298618_205800389474385_2451849_n.jpg

Yes thats what I did, it works but could be tied in better as mine have bent up with no other tie in methods.
x2

i will chop mine out, do psuedo boat sides, and brace it to the frame when i add frame stiffeners.

Back